Board index Equipment Digital Cameras IS vs. No IS

Digital Cameras

IS vs. No IS

markes01

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:57 pm

IS :P

starwrecker

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:13 pm

junglejuice wrote:Before purchasing my now zoom lens I tested the Canon 75-300, Canon 70-300is, Tamron 75-300 and the Sigma 75-300 all in the same conditions, of the same subject and same camera and just for curiosity I included the Canon 35-300L.
The results were interesting but showed that the image quality of the 75-300 vs the 70-300is Canons were chalk and cheese with the is lens quite close to the L lens, the others were quite ordinary.
So if you want a good quality lens which gives good image quality forget the cheaper lenses they are not worth it as you will want to replace it soon enough.....

From your post here I interpret it to say that you think the IS lens is close to the quality of the L series. What I meant by 'cheap' is the IS lens....from the looking around I've done its a helluva lot cheaper than an L-series lens. :D

Thanks for the input.

junglejuice

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:52 am

Yes that is correct, I thought you were referring to the lower end lens and not the IS lens....
The difference between the low end lens and the IS lens is far greater than between the IS and the L from what I found...
Take from that what you will....
Cheers...

starwrecker

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:34 pm

I finally got my 70-300 mm lens and I'm so excited!! :D :D

But I have two questions about it:

1) Has anyone ever had trouble with it freezing/locking up your camera. Twice now everything has just frozen. The CF light is on like it's trying to save the last photo taken, but nothing happens. I've let it sit like that for 5 minutes and then finally took the battery out and just let the picture go.

2) My husband thinks its rather loud. I assume hearing noise from it is normal as it does its IS thing? I've only used it inside, so the environment was quiet and I wonder if that's why he thought it was so 'loud'.

Otherwise, the few pictures I have taken with it look soo much better than my crappy kits lens.

Thanks again for tolerating my newbie questions and providing advice!! :)

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras IS vs. No IS