Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel 300D

Digital Cameras

Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel 300D

simid

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:36 pm

Hello,

I have had my D70 for about a week now and just love it. It's my first camera purchase since an early D1. I stayed with Nikon because of the lenses that I already own. I have always been a Nikon fan. I have owned an F3, F4 and F5 in the past. I chose to buy the D70 body only. I am waiting for a new Nikon pro camera, possibly the D2X.

I know Canon makes some nice gear. I have an S400 and I am pleased with it. I bet you will be happy with either camera.

David

sasc

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:46 pm

Keep in mind you are buying a system. Both cameras sound and probably are great. I am still using a D30 so would stick with Canon because for me (she who is shaky) the amount of Canon IS lenses was something of prime concern to me. And now I have several thousands invested in lenses. I also think that sometimes even with a DSLR system you might find that a digicam might more conveniently perform a certain task for a better price than a particular new lens for you DSLR. Example, I like my old pro90 with swiveling lcd and a 500D closeup lens better for macros than my D30 with macro lens, because of the IS and the swiveling lcd which spares my body contortions it no longer approves of.

johnclare

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:25 pm

castledude wrote:Canon makes better glass and the cheap kit lens is pretty good.

I dispute this claim, as I'm sure many Nikon users would. Aside from Castledude's remark on the glass, I think most of the testimonials you've received are balanced and accurate. Canon do make more mid-priced lenses (at f/4) than Nikon, but as far as the quality of the lens glass goes they are about the same. I am a Nikon enthusiast but I will refrain from making a blanket comment about which glass is better. Any advice that makes a claim like the above quote without backing it up with real evidence should be wholly disregarded.

I've shot nearly 1000 images with the D70 and I've yet to notice any moiré, but most of my subjects aren't patterned objects (like a checkered shirt for example), so I consider moiré a non-issue on the D70. The upside of what causes the moiré is that the resolution of the D70 is arguably better than that of the Rebel. Oh, to let you know where I'm coming from, I've had Canon digicams before (not the Rebel), Nikon film and Nikon digicams.

To sum up:

Features, "tuneability", build (try holding a D70 and then a Rebel in a store), better kit lens (significantly better lens in terms of image quality, build, focusing speed and zoom range): go for the D70.

Great point and shoot results, minimum configuration required, nice lack of noise at ISO 100 (but nastier noise at higher ISOs than the D70), fewer appearances by moiré: go for the Canon.

renem24

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:48 pm

A comparation between Digital Rebel and Nikon D100 which is not quite so far from D70

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page19.asp

romansphotos

Re: au contraire!!

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:48 pm

wilfredmrand wrote:My camera (300D) is in Av, Tv or M (full manual) mode 99% of the time. :arrow: I do my own thinking, thank you very much. :mrgreen: Since my purchase in October, I have made $5000 with this camera - a totally unexpected bonus. It has also saved my design business about that much in overpriced stock photography or mundane product shots that would normally cost me $1300/day.

In other words, I use it professionally. And as a businessman who has to turn a profit, I consider it a source of pride that I was able to buy the camera for $724 (body), saving $775 on features I absolutely did not need.

The fact that I can print these images large enough to bleed a 22x28 crop - about half of my business is point-of-purchase posters of this size - is a surprise bonus that I haven't even cashed in on yet.

It's not about the 'features.' It's about having the photographer.

Bravo for you!!! I too make money with my D70. I DID find and USE the features on the D70. I did not say the Canon was a bad choice....(or did you just gloss over my praise of the Canon?)

Obviously your think skinned about your camera.

So let me retierate for you.....BOTH are wonderful cameras...

If you don't need the gadgets.....and like the camera making those choices for you for the gadgets that are missing....more power too you....you found your camera! :D

If you like a finer control over the photographic process......the only game in town at that process is the D70.

Ya cant loose with either.....but if like me....you often use a spot meter....or flash compensation (without hacking your firmware) or faster flash sync.....the reble will not fit the bill....

:arrow: And that my friend..was my only point.

Roman

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel 300D