Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Close-up Lens or Macro Lens

Digital Cameras

Close-up Lens or Macro Lens

pepawofva

Close-up Lens or Macro Lens

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Hello
I'm new to this site, :lol: I'm hoping I can get some input as to which might be better a Close-up lens or macro. I have a Canon XTi which I'm very happy with. There are times with I would like to take some close-up shot Flowers, Insects and maybe people. Would it be better to buy a Close-up Lens or a Macro Lens, I dont take that many close-ups and I would want the most cost effect way. Which Close-up lens are good and are there good low cost Macro Lens. Thanks in advance for the replys
Dan (AKA pepawofva)

adz929

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:21 am

I believe the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens might be what you're after, does a fine job as a portrait lens too.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

gemmf

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:05 pm

adz929 wrote:I believe the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens might be what you're after, does a fine job as a portrait lens too.

100mm f2.8 might be a better choice for insect shots due to longer working distance.

adz929

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:48 am

gemmf wrote:100mm f2.8 might be a better choice for insect shots due to longer working distance.

Ooops, my bad, missed the part about insects, I only read flowers and people :shock:
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

dang

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:10 pm

I've put together several galleries with examples, and explanations of different techniques and required accessories for macro which might like to read. Starting here: http://www.dangphoto.net
Hope it helps.
Last edited by dang on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepawofva

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks for the replys. I have to read through the topic dong put up. Thanks again
Dan

racketman

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:51 am

another cheap alternative is a set of Jessops extension tubes currently on sale at £29.99 - with a standard 50mm lens these will take you to about 1.5:1

fergulmcc

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:02 pm

gemmf wrote:100mm f2.8 might be a better choice for insect shots due to longer working distance.

I'll second that :D !!!!, one of my best buys was that lens, pin sharp and dam good for portrait work, the macro on it is quite simply superb! Have fun!

Fergul

jscramlin01

Macro lens

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Hello, I am also a canon user (40D). So let me give you my 2 cents. As you know the ef lens (as good as they are) are very expensive. I am in the same situation for macro. I don't use it enough to justify spending so much on a ef macro lens. I have recently bought a AF confirmation adapter for M42 screw mount lens. And I got to tell you, I am very happy with it. I have an extensive collection of pentax M42 lens and in may cases the primes work as good or better than the Canon.

You can buy a AF confirmation adapter for less the $40.00 and pentax makes a very good 50mm 1.9 super multicoated screw mount lens. I have this lens and does a fantasic job on macro. If you look around on ebay, you could find both items for $100.00 or less. Stick to the super multi coated lens.

prinothcat

close up lenses

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:39 pm

I recently added a set of Tiffen close up lenses to my quiver. Screw in filter type +1, +2, +4. I use them with an 80-200 2.8 nikkor with varying results. They work quite well at 80-100 mm but much more than that and they get "foggy". At 80mm they are razor sharp and very easy to use. Set focus to infinity and move closer or away from the subject to focus. If you have a good prime or as I do a sharp zoom, these might be a good stop gap solution. They were ~120 usd in 77mm.

tedchappell

My opinion/experience re Macro lens

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:06 am

Greetings
For what its worth: After a lot of research, I chose a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for my Canon 30d and are very satisfied with the results. It is a very high qality versatile lens, which when combined with a ring-light it is perfect for close-up pics of flowers etc while for general portrait work it is superb.

Cheers
Ted

felicity6568

Re: Close-up Lens or Macro Lens

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 am

I would alsp recommend the 100mm f2.8 for these kinds of shots!

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Close-up Lens or Macro Lens