Board index Equipment Digital Cameras EOS 1D Mk1

Digital Cameras

EOS 1D Mk1

clarel

EOS 1D Mk1

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 am

Dear friends,

I currently have a 30D and I have come accross a deal for a (highly) used EOS 1D at a reasonnable price... I wanted to hear your feedback, in 2007 is it still worth buying a 1D Mk1? I can't afford a MkII but I wanted to experience the buld quality of a 1-series.

Are any of you still using your 1D mk1 or have you long upgraded? I am no pro btw, so I suppose that I don't have the constraints of a working photographer who'd depend on his gear.

Thoughts please?

thank you
Clarel

snappingturtle

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Yes, it's still a great camera. I have still seen it deployed in the athletic fields in a handful amount to this day, although the 1D Mark II and Mark IIN outnumber it.

I would compare it with up to date prosumer cameras like the 40D. Yes it is faster and tougher built, but also ask if you need a larger LCD, playback magnification, and better resolution with better ISO performance CMOS sensors. All in which the 1D lack and the cameras like the 40D, your 30D, and even the new digital rebel series all enjoy.

Also bear in mind that the 1 series have no automatic modes. So if you are dependent on the mode dail in the basic zone, you will have a problem with the 1 series.

But sure it is a great camera. It will still give you fantastic pictures as long as you do your part. I would say as long as the price range is no higher than $1,500. You will be using a "outdated", but "reliable" camera.

marxz

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:36 am

if it is cheap then knock your self out,
at 4.48 Megapixels it still has enough pixels (and more importantly resolves them very well) to make A4 size prints.

Only thing I'd add to the above poster is find out how many shutter activations, I can't imagine replacing the shutter on a 1D Mk I would be much less than $400 to $500 US - that said, if I recall right, the shutter life for the 1D Mk I is around 100,000 and I've seen some that have gone well past that.

also, if you don't like it you can always on sell it.
there is no .sig

clarel

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:58 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I finally decided to get it, I swapped a less used lens for it and so far I am loving it, the build is stunning, even if the condition of the camera is not great.

The pictures just pop out in terms of sharpness, I had not seen such nice JPG's out of a camera. The dynamic range is also so much better (I think) than my 30D.

All in all, I think I could get used to the 1-series (that will give me a workout as well :p

thanks very much
clarel

gilp

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm

I think that given the technical developments of the past 5years, aside from a spectacular body, the 1d has been upstaged many times now. I can't imagine it rendering better results than a 30d.

clarel

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 pm

hello,

Following my initial posts last year, I went on hols and came back with images I liked very much. I am just posting the link here in case someone else is in the same dilemna I was before purchasing the 1D.

The sensor becomes quite noisy at ISO 800 and above, the screen is not that great but overall I love it more than the 30D... Other drawbacks, for me, are the weight and the unwanted interest and looks it attracts.

Please ignore the dust and the inclined horizon, that's an operator error :)

http://www.pbase.com/clarel/ile_maurice

slurve30

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:29 pm

The 1D is definitely still a good buy, depending on what you're trying to use it for. If you must capture action/moving objects, or need the durability and build quality. For sure, go get a 1D series body. However image wise, the 1d mk1 is not going to beat the newer prosumer lines... in terms of both noise or color reproduction (the original 1d is a little bit on the green side for some reason).

But, the AF system, even if five years older, still kicks the prosumer lines' @ss. The 1D will be able to get "the shot" more consistently than the 20D/30D/40D body. The 8fps doesn't hurt in that department either.

By the way, my take on shutter actuations... don't worry about shutter actuations. They are meant to be broken. If it goes, it goes. It's only a $247 replacement to give you (theoretically) an extra 100-150K cycles.

gilles_delmotte

1D or 1 Ds

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:37 am

I ve used both, i'm following the market and have used a 1 Ds for years...witch I'm selling now for 2000 Us to buy a 1 Ds Mark III.
Not obviously necessary but that what customers want now.
Anyway, you'll never be desapointed by those cameras, the finishing and the quality of the pics are fantastic.
Anyway, have fun with your new toy.
Gilles
http://www.nomdecode.com

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras EOS 1D Mk1