Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dilemma...

Digital Cameras

Dilemma...

Which one should I get?

Sigma 10-20mm
55%
60mm Micro-Nikkor
9%
Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye
27%
A. N. Other
9%

Total votes : 11

davidkinahan

Dilemma...

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if you'd give me some help solving a dilemma I'm struggling with, although it's not an altogether unpleasant one...

I'm going to be getting a new lens in the next few weeks, part birthday present, and part with my own money. However, as you can probably imagine I'm completely stuck between three (I shoot a Nikon D80 btw):

1) Sigma 10-20mm
2)Nikkor 60mm micro
3)Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye

I want all of these lenses. The Sigma because I don't have the really ultrawide range available on my 18-200 VR. However, I wonder what the difference would be... I want the 60mm because at the moment, for macro shots I use the capable, but slightly annoying 50mm 1.8 and extension tubes system. I'd really like to get a proper macro lens. And I want the fisheye because, hey who doesn't want one!! (I quite like the idea of using software to remove the distortion and have near 180 degree shots too...)

Money wise, the price difference between the first two is pretty marginal, but the fisheye is significantly more. This'll mean a much bigger chunk of my money... not altogether a problem, but...

So, you see I have a problem! Votes and opinions please, Ladies and Gentlemen...

Dave

jdepould

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Between those options I'd go with the fisheye, minus the software ;) I love the distortion.

Other than that, the Tokina 12-24 f/4 is better than the Sigma for ultrawide, and I never shoot macro . . . so there's my bias.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

suzy_walker

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:37 pm

I’ve been told (by professional u/w photographers) that the Tokina 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye lens for Nikon is a better fisheye. I’m intending to buy it and the 60mm macro. I’ll be mainly shooting underwater with them so I’ve done my research (because the ports are expensive and I don’t want to get the wrong ones). If I had your choice I’d go for a fisheye because you already have a workable (if a little annoying) macro setup. The cheapest I found the fisheye was £400 (probably cheaper in the states).

davidkinahan

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:55 pm

suzy_walker wrote:I’ve been told (by professional u/w photographers) that the Tokina 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye lens for Nikon is a better fisheye. I’m intending to buy it and the 60mm macro. I’ll be mainly shooting underwater with them so I’ve done my research (because the ports are expensive and I don’t want to get the wrong ones). If I had your choice I’d go for a fisheye because you already have a workable (if a little annoying) macro setup. The cheapest I found the fisheye was £400 (probably cheaper in the states).

You're right Suzy, I was in the camera shop today and the guy didn't have the nikon in stock so gave me the tokina to try, and I really like the zoom aspect of it as well as the fisheye! I think the tokina is now the fisheye of choice...

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dilemma...