Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dust specks on sensor????????

Digital Cameras

Dust specks on sensor????????

chadturner

Dust specks on sensor????????

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:31 pm

I have a Canon 20D. I shoot in automatic and the picture is fine with no dust specks. Then, I switch to Manual/RAW mode and take the same picture and it is filled with dust specks. Does anyone know why this is?????

jestev

Re: Dust specks on sensor????????

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:50 pm

chadturner wrote:I have a Canon 20D. I shoot in automatic and the picture is fine with no dust specks. Then, I switch to Manual/RAW mode and take the same picture and it is filled with dust specks. Does anyone know why this is?????

It depends on aperture. In auto the camera usually defaults to the widest aperture (or close to it) that your lens can do. In manual you may be shooting smaller than f/8, showing the dust specks on your sensor.
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

dang

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:47 pm

If you're shooting in RAW and happen to be underexposing then compensating, it might not be dust, but digital noise instead. It would help if you'd upload shots with exif showing so we could have a look. Otherwise, it's guessing without anything to go by. :wink:

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dust specks on sensor????????