Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Using manual Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses on a dSLR?

Digital Cameras

Using manual Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses on a dSLR?

smit10pics

Using manual Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses on a dSLR?

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Does anyone have any experience of using manual focus Tamron lenses on a dSLR i.e. Nikon D80? I have 24mm, 35-70 and 85-210 Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses from my film days and would like to know if I could expect to get any use out of them on a Nikon D80. Specifically;
- Is a mount available that is designed for this purpose on these lenses?
- Is there a risk of damage to the camera body in using a mount on a manual lens on this camera?
- Would the exposure meter system work? I realise I would have to set aperture and focus manually.
- What would the effective focal length of the lenses be?
- Has anyone actually tried doing this?

I just don't like having to throw stuff out!!

Thanks for any info, that you may have to help me in this query.
Cheers
Stewart

dang

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:01 pm

I used adapter from M-42 screw mount lenses on my Canon bodies without problems, and am putting together some info on "adaptall" lenses now, which I'll post in a few weeks. Tamron actually still makes some adapters, and supports some uses, but I don't know all the specifics at this point. If you'd like to read about adapting various lenses, you might like to look through a few of my galleries containing the current info I have. You'll also find a link to Tamron where you can find more info on them in this gallery: http://www.dangphoto.net

Primary problem is the viewfinder becomes dark when stopped down using manual lenses, which can make focusing difficult in certain situations. And you must to be certain the lens/adapter you use works on your body before hand, so get in touch with Tamron to be sure. They may still make a specific one for your body though. :wink:

UPDATE Jan. 15, 09
It appears Tamron has now discontinued support for "adaptall" on their website. M42 adapters are still available, along with ways to change mounts on some bodies to except various lenses. Google for your specific combination.
Last edited by dang on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smit10pics

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Dang, thanks for the info, and the fast response. From what I have been able to gather from your sources and a couple of other web trawls, is that Nikon AF mounts haven't changed for many years so the current Tamron Nikon AF mount should fit OK, albeit with the viewfinder image dark due to being stopped down.
Cheers
Stewart

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Using manual Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses on a dSLR?