Board index Equipment Digital Cameras [b]CANON PRO1 : why no comments about this model ?[/b]

Digital Cameras

[b]CANON PRO1 : why no comments about this model ?[/b]

teletu

[b]CANON PRO1 : why no comments about this model ?[/b]

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:45 am

I wish to know advices about the CANON PowerShot PRO1. It seems to be forgotten on this forum : is it because it is a very new brand ? or some other models shadows it ?
I am addicted by compacity and swivel screen because i like to travel "light".
That is why first I was very interested by the CANON G5-Pro that is well reputed and much more cheaper ; and I keep the idea to buy this G5-Pro model if the PRO1 is not preferable.
Buying a new camera, I look for good results... so I wait for your opinions, and thanks you indeed for quick answering.

ukexpat

Re: CANON PRO1 : why no comments about this model ?

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:57 am

teletu wrote:I wish to know advices about the CANON PowerShot PRO1. It seems to be forgotten on this forum : is it because it is a very new brand ? or some other models shadows it ?
I am addicted by compacity and swivel screen because i like to travel "light".
That is why first I was very interested by the CANON G5-Pro that is well reputed and much more cheaper ; and I keep the idea to buy this G5-Pro model if the PRO1 is not preferable.
Buying a new camera, I look for good results... so I wait for your opinions, and thanks you indeed for quick answering.

Probably because it's so new...

fastuno

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:39 am

Ask these people
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_pro_1

we don't know squat about it!

gschmickle

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:44 pm

DPReview just put up a review for it. Check out

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/

I'd be a little leary about all the 8 megapixel offerings right now. Trying to cram 8 megapixels into those tiny consumer-sized chips has created noise issues for all manufacturers that have put out offerings. If you decide you absolutely want a 8 mp camera, I'd buy some good noise reduction software (Neat Image, Noise Ninja, etc.) to go with it because none of them include an in-camera reduction option (another mistake, in my opinion).

-Guy

Correction : I jumped the gun a bit when I stated that nobody includes built-in noise reduction in their 8mp offerings. Turns out that Konica-Minolta and Olympus do. If you believe the reviews on DPReviews site, the Olympus just may be the best of the bunch. Of course, you'd be wise to get more opinions elsewhere.

paulsilkphotography

Post Sat May 08, 2004 6:24 pm

I'll go with Guy on this, all reviews i have read in the Uk photogrpahic press say there is a noise issue with ALL the 8mp small sensor cameras..or as one respected reviwer here said rather scathingly ..why would manafatures think we want more expensive cameras that are unusable over ISO200!!

Paul

shaun

Post Wed May 12, 2004 7:09 pm

craftysnapper wrote:or as one respected reviwer here said rather scathingly ..why would manafatures think we want more expensive cameras that are unusable over ISO200!! Paul

Exactly. Jam pack an extra 3mp into a 5mp size chip
& what do you get? A whole lotta noise. Forget about
low light or high speed, high iso work.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras [b]CANON PRO1 : why no comments about this model ?[/b]