Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sugestions for wide angle and telephoto lens please

Digital Cameras

Sugestions for wide angle and telephoto lens please

consiglieri

Sugestions for wide angle and telephoto lens please

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi all,
This is my first ever posting in this beautiful Forum.
I am very new in Digital SLR photography and I decided to buy a Canon D40.
However I have some questions if you don't mind sparing some minutes and put your views to help me. I apologize in advance if they are to amateur for you:

-If I buy the camera with the kit (28-135mm comes with body), it is a good deal for the wide angle lens..but is that lens a good one for generic photography? or some 18-55mm etc is better?

-I would also like to buy a telephoto lens for long range. What would you suggest? Are 70-200mm's good and if so should I get the one with IS or not?

-For panorama photography what do I need? Do I need a different lens then the above? If so what would you suggest?

Many thanks in advance.

ride_the_spiral

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:28 pm

"-If I buy the camera with the kit (28-135mm comes with body), it is a good deal for the wide angle lens..but is that lens a good one for generic photography? or some 18-55mm etc is better?"

The Canon 40D will have a 1.6x magnification (crop) factor, therefore the 28-135 will be more like a 44-216mm lens - which for my liking is nowhere near wide enough to be classed 'wide-angle'. I would recommend getting the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS as a standard kit lens. It has an equivalent 28mm starting focal length which is obviously a lot wider (and is built quite well and optically pretty decent). Avoid the 18-55mm, it is built poorly and is optically bad as well.

"-I would also like to buy a telephoto lens for long range. What would you suggest? Are 70-200mm's good and if so should I get the one with IS or not?"

THe 70-200mm f/4L with IS is Canon's sharpest lens to date. It is superb in every aspect and offers a huge (4 stops) amount of stablisation. The 70-200 f/2.8 are also great but very expensive - however if you have the funds available, there is nothing like f/2.8 on a telephoto. I would also recommend the 70-300mm with IS which actually has some 'L' (flourite) glass in it, which gives it a very respectable performance, while reaching slightly further.

"-For panorama photography what do I need? Do I need a different lens then the above? If so what would you suggest? "

I'm no expert in panoramics, but I would have thought a prime lens (a lens with one focal length eg. 50mm, 24mm) would be the ideal choice. They usually have very low barrel distortion (curvature), meaning joining images would be less troublesome. I'd like to hear what other people think too.
Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.pbase.com/ride_the_spiral

prinothcat

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:57 pm

First of all let me post my disclaimer...I'm shooting Nikon. I think though that most of what I can add is valid.
I've been reading Ken Rockwell and he's giving Canon stuff fair trial's you can read his ideas here.

On Lenses: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm
On the 40D: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/40d.htm

I suspect there are some other good sources for Canon reviews, but being a Nikon shooter these are outside my regular reading list. Rockwell shoots both. He has a tendency to be outspoken. Some people like him some people dislike him. He is a wideangle fanatic. Also shoots for extremes in color, so frequently his set up suggestions are not going to make everyone happy. I think that as long as you go in with an open mind, I believe his reviews are good, and he normally has images to back up his claims so one can judge for one's self whether or not the point being made is valid to the reader.

As to your specifics, yep on 1.6 crop, 18mm is a good place to start for wide angle. I personally an looking to go to 12-24mm in a Tokina which is well received in many circles. I'm going that route because at 18mm on a 1.x sensor I can't back up far enough sometimes. I'm willing to live with the distortion (or photoshop it).

70-200mm should be plenty on the smaller sensor for telephoto. I went 70-300 too get a IS/VR lens. Unless you're gonna shoot a lot of indoor stuff with that lens 4.0 should be plenty fast. For panarama I 'm also in the dark, but I agree with the previous poster and think you need a lens with minimal barrel distortion. Otherwise you're going to need to post process the distortion before stitching the images together.

Finally I believe in IS (VR for Nikon shooters). As many as possible with in your budget. It's not a deal breaker at wideangle focal lengths, but in my eyes it's a real useful tool at telephoto lengths. there is always the option of "poorman's IS" which is a tri or monopod, but that's another item to juggle. I do own and use a good tripod, but still buy IS/VR lenses when the opportunity presents.

dharden

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:12 pm

you could also argue that IS (VR) is "Lazy man's tripod" :) and yes, I do have IS lenses but a pro will always use a tripod first and IS second (if conditions don't permit the tripod use or the subject isn't suited to a tripod method). I'm not rubbishing IS incidentally - if you HAVE to be handheld then it's very useful - unless the subject is going to move and the light is poor, at which point you need an f2.8 (usually expensive) lens.....

As an example, I had to take a shot at a wedding from the back of a church with no flash on a long lens (B&G kissing and I was under Vicar's orders!) and I couldn't have got it with IS, even at ISO1600. On the tripod I got a series of three shots for one page of the album!

Plus, a decent tripod is hardly cheap! :D

I can recommend the Sigma 10-20 DC if you want to try VERY wide angle stuff (or Canon's 10-22 if you have the budget for it). At the "wide to mid" length then the Sigma 17-70 is wonderful for the money (or the 18-50EX OR Tamron's 17-50 OR the Canon 17-40L or EF-S 17-55 IS if you can afford it).

At the long end - general telephoto is well served by a range of 70-200 ish but wildlife will require at least a 300 or preferably longer. IS/VR is actually very useful because there's often no time to set a tripod up but you really should get a decent, stable support for such photography. Canon's own long lenses are generally excellent and the 100-400L is popular (although allegedly prone to dust ingress and the occasional bearings failure if you're unlucky). Sigma's 80-400OS which I have is good optically but the AF is a bit hit-and-miss in poor light and is SLOWWW. On a beginner's budget then the Sigma 70-300APO Macro is an OK buy, but if you can afford it then do look at Canon's lenses....

For motorsport or similar subjects then IS is probably more useful than a tripod - much panning and following of action!

Panoramics can be done with ANY lens - it's just a crop from the centre of the image on your 40D. It all depends how wide a range of the scene you want to include...

HTH....

dharden

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:39 pm

ooh forgot to mention that you could also do panoramics by using a tripod to help you stitch 2 or more pictures together to obtain a wider view. you need software and a means to get the camera rotating on one plane (perfectly flat) to do it properly but if you googlefor it you'll find plenty of info.....

tringhenge

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:04 am

I'll throw my two-pennyworth in as a pure amateur snapper.

I find the 28-135 IS is a great walkaround lens. It's most often on my 40D when out an about.

I have the 70-300 IS for general telephoto work which is a good lens for the cost. It does need to work stopped down slightly to achieve it's best I find. The 70-200L canon lenses are supposed to be about the best there are, but I cannot speak from experience as I am still saving :?

As to panormas, buy a tripod :) You can shoot using any lens, but the longer the focal length the more shots you will need!

As to IS, you don't need it....but it is great to have and will often save the need for lugging a tripod about for hours on end.

ewhalen

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:15 pm

Canon does not make a D40, the D40 is a Nikon camera.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

pianisimo

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:39 pm

ewhalen wrote:Canon does not make a D40, the D40 is a Nikon camera.

Sometimes people call Canon's names differently then how they are normally listed. I have seen XT = 350D, or D350; XTi = 400D, or D400; 30D = D30, etc. This person is talking about the body you know of as the 40D.

prinothcat

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:28 pm

pianisimo wrote:
ewhalen wrote:Canon does not make a D40, the D40 is a Nikon camera.

Sometimes people call Canon's names differently then how they are normally listed. I have seen XT = 350D, or D350; XTi = 400D, or D400; 30D = D30, etc. This person is talking about the body you know of as the 40D.

Funny I looked back through postings and never saw a reference to the D40. OP clearly said Canon 40D. Strangely the rest of us knew what he was talking about... call me contrary.

consiglieri

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:11 am

Many thanks to all for your responses.

I indeed meant Canon 40D which I bought on Friday. (somehow I mistyped as D40 maybe because Nikon has D40..so apologies for the confusion on that).

I found a really good second hand 17-85mm and 70-200mm with IS. And this weekend had a chance to try them and so far so good.
I guess now what I will need is a tripod to be able to make panoramas and a lens for macros..which I can buy at later stages.

goodlistener

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:18 am

Your luck is good. That is a really nice pair. Look forward to seeing your work on line.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sugestions for wide angle and telephoto lens please