Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 350D

Digital Cameras

Help Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 350D

gurdhaliwal

Help Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 350D

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm

Please Help Me,

I want to purchase a new DSLR I am a novice when it comes to cameras which one should i buy Nikon D4o or Canon EOS 350D

any help would be appreciated

Gur Dhaliwal

ernst

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:31 pm

Just a matter of personal taste. Go and check how they feel in your hands.
I think the Nikon has newer technology, but Canon has a better reputation with high iso noise.
And remember that you are buying into a system. Once you buy a brand, you are stuck with it and all its pros and cons.

dang

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 am

I own a couple of 350's, and find they work well for the price. They also auto-focus with the full line of lenses, unlike the Nikon D-40 and D-40x. I'd suggest you read the reviews here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Lenses are your primary investment, especially with new bodies being released each year. So, you might want to check lens prices, and compare them instead. I highly recommend buying the best glass possible, to avoid having to replace it later on. This is the primary problem I find with the D-40 series, since it's limits your selection starting out. Tough most of the lenses offered by Nikon will work manually, it can still be somewhat limiting in certain situations.
Good luck, and have fun whatever you buy.

marxz

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:01 am

ernst wrote:Just a matter of personal taste. Go and check how they feel in your hands.
I think the Nikon has newer technology, but Canon has a better reputation with high iso noise.
And remember that you are buying into a system. Once you buy a brand, you are stuck with it and all its pros and cons.

until you ditch brand x camera on e-bay and swap to brand y :P

no seriously, I know we all talk about a commitment to a system but really unless your a pov-photag* until you commit to a couple of high end lenses (say of the 70-200 2.8 VR/IS price or more) immediately you've not really crossed the financial point of no return.

*Poverty Photographer (and no not an insult - "poverty" may simply mean that you have higher financial priorities - mortgage family etc etc so have to limit your budget)

seriously If I thought, say, Nikons's 600mm prime was a shit-hot arse-kicking must-have prime that left Canon's for dead (which it may, or may not) or I just seriously preferred black lenses over white lenses then I'd buy that and get a used and/or entry level Nikon body (as the body would be 1/8th or less of the cost of that particular lens/body "system")
there is no .sig

jdepould

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:13 pm

Bottom line is that the top players are within a hairs breadth of each other in nearly every respect. The D3 has a faster frame rate and full-frame sensor, but the Ds Mk III has 21MP, either one can produce excellent (or crap) images. Just pick whatever camera is in your budget right now and feels best in your hands. Don't discount menu navigation either. It's more imporant to get out and shoot though.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

sadie04

Re: Help Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 350D

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:52 am

gurdhaliwal wrote:Please Help Me,

I want to purchase a new DSLR I am a novice when it comes to cameras which one should i buy Nikon D4o or Canon EOS 350D

any help would be appreciated

Gur Dhaliwal

I just bought my first D-SLR this past weekend. It was the Canon EOS 400 D or also called the Rebel XTi. Real easy to use and my first photos came out pretty good.

prinothcat

Post Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:24 pm

Go somewhere and pick both of them up, hold them, ask to fire some shots. You'll like one or the other, or hate em both. I started at the EOS XTI (350 D ?) and ended up with a Nikon D-200, before I dropped the coin an j hour later.. One of the definate benefits of Brick and mortar stores, over internet POS. Drill down through all of the menus, find out how easy (or difficult) it may be to navigate to settings (Canon are reputed to be somewhat less user freindly than Nikon) you want or need. Look at the control layout, again one will say pick me, pick me... Finally as someone else mentioned make sure that it will drive the lenses you desire or may consider in the future.

photodocsj

choosing a camera

Post Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 pm

I always tell people who ask me this question: if you have family or friends, that have a DSLR what camera do they have? If you know two people with nikons buy a nikon, if they have a Canon, buy that!

It really helps if you know someone who knows how to help you learn your camera. And with any luck they will let you borrow a lens to try out before you buy one of your own.

grabus

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:09 pm

naliazor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:31 pm

350D or 400D???
for entry level better take 400D :D

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Help Nikon D40 or Canon EOS 350D