Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Distortion: Nikon 18-200 VR

Digital Cameras

Distortion: Nikon 18-200 VR

mikelong

Distortion: Nikon 18-200 VR

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:41 am

Here's an example of the distortion I'm experiencing with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens. You'll see the image is blurred on on the right and left, but sharp in the middle.

http://www.pbase.com/mikelong/image/88053155

dang

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:59 am

Hi Mike,
Have you tried stopping down a couple to see if it helps?
Nice shots, btw.

mikelong

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:59 am

dang wrote:Hi Mike,
Have you tried stopping down a couple to see if it helps?

It definitely improves when I stop down beyond f11, but I don't experience nearly the same distortion at larger apertures on my other lenses. With this lens I'll have to always remember to shoot at smaller apertures, or crop the blur out of the shot in post editing.

ride_the_spiral

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Perhaps you have a bad copy of the lens (this seems a little extreme to be normal)? Have you noticed similar problems in other peoples' sample photos with this lens?
Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.pbase.com/ride_the_spiral

ride_the_spiral

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:43 pm

Check out this review and MTF + distortion graphs.. http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses ... /index.htm

It does tend to reflect what you've been seeing.. 'excellent' centre sharpness at f5.6-f8 and only 'good' to 'fair' corner sharpness at 22mm.. :shock:
Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.pbase.com/ride_the_spiral

mikelong

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:47 pm

ride_the_spiral wrote:It does tend to reflect what you've been seeing.. 'excellent' centre sharpness at f5.6-f8 and only 'good' to 'fair' corner sharpness at 22mm.. :shock:

Thanks Tim, that about sums it up.

Center sharpness is acceptable at all apertures, but lousy corner sharpness at the smaller apertures.

Time to dump this lens and find something better.

dang

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi Mike,
It's not a lens I have, but I've been looking toward getting something similar for a walk-around in a Tamron. I was expecting a bit of softness at the ends, since it tends to be a fairly common problem with such long zoom range lenses. If it sharpens a fair amount when stopped down, I could live with it. But I'd want to be sure it was typical of the lens. I've always felt it was worth the trade off, but I'd only be using it rarely. Of course, that's only personal feelings, and something we each have to decide for ourselves. :wink:

mikelong

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:45 pm

dang wrote:Hi Mike,
If it sharpens a fair amount when stopped down, I could live with it. But I'd want to be sure it was typical of the lens. I've always felt it was worth the trade off, but I'd only be using it rarely. Of course, that's only personal feelings, and something we each have to decide for ourselves. :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts. I've found that edge to edge sharpness is pretty good at f11 or smaller. But I'll continue searching for a combination of two or three higher-quality lenses that cover the range of this zoom. Heading to the USA next month, can buy them over there and take advantage of the weak dollar. :lol:

mikelong

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:47 pm

ride_the_spiral wrote:Perhaps you have a bad copy of the lens (this seems a little extreme to be normal)? Have you noticed similar problems in other peoples' sample photos with this lens?

I'll check into that. Haven't taken a close look at shots from other photographers using the same lens or read any similar complaints from other pbasers yet.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Distortion: Nikon 18-200 VR