Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D2X or Nikon D300 - your opinion please

Digital Cameras

Nikon D2X or Nikon D300 - your opinion please

bertone61

Nikon D2X or Nikon D300 - your opinion please

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:12 am

Could get a Nikon D2X, firmware upgrade to D2Xs, 45000 shots, very good condition, new rubber coating for about 250.- bucks mor than the D300 will cost.
What would you do? I still have and will keep my D80. Will the new AF-system of the D300 outperform the pro camera? I am not sure...

Thanks for any advice!

Regards
Steve

adz929

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:03 am

Given that the AF system in the D300 is identical to that found in the upcoming D3, I would say yes, the D300 will no doubt outperform the D2X in the AF department. As for the rest, well the D300, when fitted with its battery grip, will allow 8fps at full res, 8fps on the D2X requires you to shoot using the high speed crop mode. IMHO, IQ should be identical with the D300 putting out cleaner high ISO images. Make what you will of what I've said, but personally, I'd buy a D300 over a D2X any day.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

jdepould

Post Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:20 pm

D300 is still a professional body, just not the flagship. I can't really think of any area where the D2Xs would outperform it?
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

bertone61

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:15 am

Thank you guys!

Mh... well....I think too that the D300 is the one to go for, but the D2X is really a nice thing. The shutter is awesome. It is smooth and fast and the view through the viewfinder is just brilliant. I also think that the D2x will easy survive allday use. In fact this camera is tank. And it is a full pro cam.

Nikon claims the D300 to be a semi-pro cam. I asked my dealer and he said that the D300 is far away from being a pro cam. He talked about the rough life of a daily used and abused pro cam, about dust and water protection, blablabla...
Well, I take care about my things so all these arguments do not really count for me.... I am really happy that Nikon decidet to keep the internal flash on the D300, I am sure I would have missed it on the D2x, though I have always an external one with me.... I will wait till the D300 is available and then see what I hear from the owners..

Cheers
Steve

jdepould

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:21 pm

bertone61 wrote:Thank you guys!

Mh... well....I think too that the D300 is the one to go for, but the D2X is really a nice thing. The shutter is awesome. It is smooth and fast and the view through the viewfinder is just brilliant. I also think that the D2x will easy survive allday use. In fact this camera is tank. And it is a full pro cam.

Nikon claims the D300 to be a semi-pro cam. I asked my dealer and he said that the D300 is far away from being a pro cam. He talked about the rough life of a daily used and abused pro cam, about dust and water protection, blablabla...
Well, I take care about my things so all these arguments do not really count for me.... I am really happy that Nikon decidet to keep the internal flash on the D300, I am sure I would have missed it on the D2x, though I have always an external one with me.... I will wait till the D300 is available and then see what I hear from the owners..

Cheers
Steve

Does your dealer know anything about cameras? The D200 is a tank and I don't expect the 300 to be any different. Full weather sealing, metal body, what exactly about this isn't going to stand up?

Nikon isn't calling it semi-pro either:
http://press.nikonusa.com/2007/08/nikon_introduces_the_new_d300.php#more
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

bug322

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Shutterlife(tested)

D200 100.000 cycles
D300 150.000
D3 300.000

i think the D2X is 100.000 like the F6 (not sure)

regards

adz929

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Hmmmm, my D200 is built like a tank, it gets clunked agaist my other cameras, its been rained on more times than I can remember and its withstood numerous trips to the beach. I don't know what more I could ask it to endure, yet it still works like new. The D300 will no doubt offer the same, if not better, toughness. Yes, the D2X is a fine piece'o'kit, but IMO, the D300 has it beat in the specs department.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

bertone61

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:58 am

jdepould wrote:
bertone61 wrote:Thank you guys!

Cheers
Steve

Does your dealer know anything about cameras? The D200 is a tank and I don't expect the 300 to be any different. Full weather sealing, metal body, what exactly about this isn't going to stand up?

Nikon isn't calling it semi-pro either:
http://press.nikonusa.com/2007/08/nikon_introduces_the_new_d300.php#more

I only repeated what he said, I did not say that I agree with him and until I've had a D300 in my hands i will not judge anything. All I can say is that the D2X is a fat tank like thing and the D200 isn't. I am not saying that the D200 or any other cam is crap.... :wink:

vernix

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:27 am

First let me say I have a D2x (and D2h) and want a D3.

Tanks, nah.

The D2x is a H1 Hummer kevlar military body.
The D200 is a H3 and the D300 will be the H2 hummer.....gussied-up civilian models.

Truth is....they are all better cameras than most of us are photographers.

Once you get used to the feel of pro-level bodies you then know why they are what they are. The d200 just ain't the same camera and I suspect neither will be the d300.

Now which one to buy?
Handle them both when you can.
I have a D2x and D2h for sale and know full well the price is dropping as I type!

right now there is an ebay 20k click pristine D2x that might bring 2000$.

All these cameras will take superlative captures. It's no longer a function of the camera....it's up to the grey matter atached to the eyeballs.

Handle 'em.
The pro-bodies are like driving a ferrari.....words don't tell the whole story.

bertone61

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:55 am

vernix wrote:First let me say I have a D2x (and D2h) and want a D3.

Tanks, nah.

The D2x is a H1 Hummer kevlar military body.
The D200 is a H3 and the D300 will be the H2 hummer.....gussied-up civilian models.

Truth is....they are all better cameras than most of us are photographers.

Once you get used to the feel of pro-level bodies you then know why they are what they are. The d200 just ain't the same camera and I suspect neither will be the d300.

Now which one to buy?
Handle them both when you can.
I have a D2x and D2h for sale and know full well the price is dropping as I type!

right now there is an ebay 20k click pristine D2x that might bring 2000$.

All these cameras will take superlative captures. It's no longer a function of the camera....it's up to the grey matter atached to the eyeballs.

Handle 'em.
The pro-bodies are like driving a ferrari.....words don't tell the whole story.

Absolutely right! I like the comparison with the Hummer's :wink: That's how a illustration should be *lol* I think this is very exactly what my dealer meant.
Had the D2X for a day and the D200 for a week. Both are great, both feel like Hummer's. The D2X would be my favorite but hey, it's much more than I'd need. Unfortunately I am not rich and can not afford a pro cam. I hope that the D300 will perform well and I will wait till end of next year before I decide if I buy one. My D80 (and maybe D70) will be kept as second body...

CU
Steve

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D2X or Nikon D300 - your opinion please