Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:25 pm

@ dang: thanks for the link, I believe I have still a lot to learn :wink:

@ Michael: thanx too, check mail!

Cheers
Steve

haunted_chipshop

sigma 10-20

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:36 pm

This lens can have focusing issues, ie on auto when focused on an object at or around infinity the lens will set to around 6 metres. Not all of these lenses are affected, but if so manual focusing solves it. Shorter focusing distances, around 6 meters or less seem unaffected. A nuisance but liveable with. Best aperture range f8-f11, should be tack sharp.
http://www.pbase.com/haunted_chipshop/s ... om_samples

bertone61

Re: sigma 10-20

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:19 am

Thanks for your reply. Mh..... had not enough time to check everything, I am lying in bed with a flu :x However, it seems that pictures are not very sharp when lens is set to infinity. As soon as possible I will test if manual correction will bring better results. If the lens is affected I will return it.
Thanx again,
Steve

bertone61

Re: sigma 10-20

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:08 am

done a lot of testshots now. My first impression of generally not so crisp images has been confirmed. The pictures are a little bit softer and the colors too, but no problem that PS can't cure.

I have to learn that I can really go very close to my objects now. This is my first wide angle lens ever, so it needs some kind of training.

Can confirm what you guys said about closing down. Made testhots of a statue in front of a tree. Best result between f8 and f11, no significant changes though between f8 and f11. Closing further down does not improve anything is more likely to show decreasing sharpness. That this lens has almost no CA's, as I read in several tests, is not true. It definitely has, especially under critical light conditions (very light background, dark foreground and objects with sharp borders or silhouettes). But they are not very strong, so that is not a problem.
Sharpness in the corners drops significantly but I have seen very expensive wide angle lenses where this was much worse.

Mechanical quality is great, zoom ring is almost too light to move and the lens sits very tight in the body (what I like as my 70-200 doesn't). The surface with this kind of sanded finish is not really what I like but maybe it is at least durable...

Cheers
Steve

Overall, just fun to use

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sigma 10-20mm