Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Question for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Owners

Digital Cameras

Question for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Owners

lmwalker

Question for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Owners

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:53 pm

I just purchased this lens yesterday. Its performance is everything I had been led to expect from my research. But I have one concern. When the IS function is engaged, the lens makes a faint uneven mechanical noise, kind of similar to a mouse running on a cage wheel. The IS function appears to work normally otherwise. I have another Canon L lens with IS and the IS function is whisper quiet on that lens. I also have a Sigma OS lens that is whisper quiet except for a slight "gurgling" noise when the OS function engages and disengages, but the Sigma owners manual specifically states that this is normal for that lens.

Is this noise anything to be concerned about on the EF 70/200L f/4?

snappingturtle

Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:59 pm

No, Larger lenses genrally have louder IS components than their smaller counterparts. As long as it does not sound hediously loud, I would not worry about it. If it does not sound at all, it is not working. But if you want to make sure, take a few tests and see if it is stopping camera shake at lower shutter speeds.

I think you should be fine. Considering that it is also brand new.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Question for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Owners