Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Swarovski STS 80 HD Spotting Scope

Digital Cameras

Swarovski STS 80 HD Spotting Scope

leejungil

Swarovski STS 80 HD Spotting Scope

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:59 am

Has anyone tried one of these Spotting Scopes for picture taking?

Thanks, Jerry

baja_traveler

Post Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 pm

I digiscoped this Kingfisher through my friends 80HD. It was the first time I've tried digiscoping, and with more practice I'm sure I can get better results. The kingfisher was sitting about 100 yards from us.
(Click on the image to go to my bird gallery)

leejungil

Digiscoping

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am

Hi there, Thanks for the interesting response. What type of camera do you suggest?

Jerry

baja_traveler

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 am

Well, I use a Nikon D2h for everything - my friend uses his D2x on his scope, but these cameras are heavy, so you have to properly set up the scope and tripod with an offset plate to get the whole system balanced right. People are using many different types of cameras for digiscoping - but for all of them you need several features - a lens threaded for filters - so you can thread on a scope adapter, and a camera whose lens barrel does not rotate to focus. We've found that a digital SLR with a 28mm fixed lens works perfectly for digiscoping. Look up your local Audubon online and find out when they are having their Bird Festival (we have it beginning of Feb. here in San Diego). Birders are huge digiscopers, so they have digiscope seminars where you can learn more in an afternoon than years of trail and error. Swarovski reps teach the digiscoping class here - I took the seminar last year, and this year I'll be buying this scope.

dang

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:36 am

Here's a nice site to view some additional photos taken with one:
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.as ... gallerynav

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Swarovski STS 80 HD Spotting Scope