Board index Equipment Digital Cameras XTi lens decision, would love your opinion

Digital Cameras

XTi lens decision, would love your opinion

erickaom

XTi lens decision, would love your opinion

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi all.

I've been reading the forums like crazy, nearly driving myself crazy in the process over this lens decision. Just looking for some opinions here.

I'm new to DSLR, definitely willing and wanting to learn about photography but not get in over my head w/ this first camera. I'm looking for a lens (or 2) that will be good while I'm learning, but not disappointing as I'm spending a lot of money on a new camera. I understand that the XTi comes w/ a kit lens that is not highly rated, but some suggest to go ahead and start out with it while you are learning. I would like to have a lens (or 2) that will give me a fairly good range as I'm learning. So here are my options, tell me what you think

1) 18-55 kits lens + 50 MM 1.8
2) no kit lens, 17-85 MM IS instead
3) no kit lens, Tamron 17-50 2.8 instead
4) I've heard something about a new 18-55 kits lens with IS coming out??

Thanks in advance!

djwixx

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm a Nikon user, but I can highly rate the 50mm F1.8 as a great addition to any camera bag. It's great for portraits and also very forgiving for landscapes if not wide enough on a lot of occasions. Add close up filters and it will get you a little closer to a macro option. For the money a 50mm and a set of close up filters will be the best buy for the money to give you great scope.

The 17-85mm is a good range, but I would stick to the 18-55mm kit lens and the 50mm, give yourself a year to make the most of them then contemplate new toys. If you buy too much now, as you learn more, you may start to regret some early decisions. Starting with the kit lens will also enable you to figure what the reviews suggest are less than ideal then you can make decisions on what you need to improve on it.
Last edited by djwixx on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

supersignet

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:58 am

I have to disagree, while the 50mm f1.8 is a great lens for portaits and use in low light the crop factor on the XTi basically renders it useless for anything aside from portaits or some outdoor photography.

The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a great lens with a very useful focal length. The only drawback and it isn't a big one is the noisy auto focus motor (something I can liver with easily)

The big debate is always about IS...should I get a lens with IS or shouldn't I get a lens with IS. IMHO the only time you should even consider a lens with IS is when you're looking at long focal lengths as long focal lengths amplify the slightest movements of your hands.

However for shorter focal lengths ie. 17-50mm I would be happy with a fast lens.

I think the XTi and the tammron 18-50 f2.8 would be a great way to start.
Canon 30d, Canon 400d, Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX HSM, Sigma 70-200 2.8EX non-DG, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-300

toosnvetts

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:11 am

I suppose a lot will depend on your photographic interests but, as a relative newbie myself (with an XTi), I have to agree with djwixx. For the money, that 50 mm 1.8 is a great buy and you will learn so much while using it. It is a good cheap way to experiment with a "fast"lens and you will be amazed at some of the shots you take! The kit lense (18-55) is a great lens to learn with as well, until you find your real interest. I like it.

My first lens after that and I am still learning and playing with it is a 70-200 F4L IS USM. It takes some getting used to but is absolutely fantastic for my favorite subjects, hummingbirds. Have fun and, like has been advised, don't buy too much too soon!

djwixx

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:27 am

supersignet wrote:The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a great lens with a very useful focal length.

I totally agree, but I think you need to be very aware of the level the poster is stating they are at. I think a F2.8 zoom lens is overpriced relative to the experience quoted and won't be utilized to it's full potential, hence me stating to pay a little more for the kit lens with the camera to start with, then move onto something more expensive (or useful) once you figure out your interests and requirements.

Again, I would emphasize staying within your budget, determine your interests and only expand once you determine the need and feel you can benefit with what more expensive options can give you.

erickaom

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:48 am

Thank you all!

I really think I've decided on the Kit Lens + 50 MM 1.8. This combo seems to get good reviews, and I think it will serve me well starting out. I appreciate your feedback!

djwixx

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:14 am

erickaom wrote:Thank you all!

I really think I've decided on the Kit Lens + 50 MM 1.8. This combo seems to get good reviews, and I think it will serve me well starting out. I appreciate your feedback!

Good luck.

With the 50mm, make a point of using it in aperture priority to see the benefit. Take the same shot in sequence through each aperture to see the effect. Program or auto won't be a good way to make the most of it. It was the lens I used to get away from program and auto and learn the joys of depth of field.

erickaom

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:08 pm

Oh great advice! I will do that, thank you!

brickfielder

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:59 pm

I see most of the advice is all the same on this post and I am not sure it is the best approach. A counter argument might be that you need to be excited about your photography and although both kit lens and the 50mm can produce awesome pictures it is a little harder to be creative with these early on than some other lens.It is true that if you master those then it becomes easier to use other lens and this is why a lot of people suggest them.
You might want to have a wider range so perhaps look at the 70-300 IS
or you might want ot look at a macro or close focusing lens so have a look at soime of the sigma lens.
Perhaps instead of the fast 50 you might want the 85mm f1.8 which is a little more expensive put gives a little extra reach outdoors.
Pbase has the facility to look up pictures by lens take a look at the pictures taken with the lenses you are looking at.Make it your decision based on what you want ot achieve.

jestev

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:16 pm

brickfielder wrote:I see most of the advice is all the same on this post and I am not sure it is the best approach. A counter argument might be that you need to be excited about your photography and although both kit lens and the 50mm can produce awesome pictures it is a little harder to be creative with these early on than some other lens.It is true that if you master those then it becomes easier to use other lens and this is why a lot of people suggest them.
You might want to have a wider range so perhaps look at the 70-300 IS
or you might want ot look at a macro or close focusing lens so have a look at soime of the sigma lens.
Perhaps instead of the fast 50 you might want the 85mm f1.8 which is a little more expensive put gives a little extra reach outdoors.
Pbase has the facility to look up pictures by lens take a look at the pictures taken with the lenses you are looking at.Make it your decision based on what you want ot achieve.

I disagree with you here. The best way to learn to photography, in my mind and the minds of others, is with a fully manual camera and a 50mm primer. Why is this? It forces the photographer to think more about composition of the subject. With a zoom lens, many beginner photographers may find that they are getting too close or too far from their subjects to make interesting images. The prime lens has no zoom funcationality so the photographer has to physically move to change perspective.

A 70-300IS would be nice to experiment with longer reaches, but I would suggest getting that after the kit and 50mm lenses.
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras XTi lens decision, would love your opinion