Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Upgrade to D5?

Digital Cameras

Upgrade to D5?

toosnvetts

Upgrade to D5?

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:56 pm

I have a Canon 400D and am thinking of upgrading to a full frame, namely a D5. I am reading that the D5 is two years old and may be replaced with a new version soon and some people seem to be waiting for that upgrade. I am a relatively new photographer and am not sure I know enough to benefit from many possible upgrades. I'm certainly in no hurry anyway; the cost of the D5 might drop just before the new model is introduced.

Any thoughts or guidance from people who have "been there"?

snappingturtle

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:32 pm

I would not jump that far so quickly. There is a lot to learn about moving to the 5D, especially knowing the benefits and drawbacks of full frame, which is more than just crop factor. In addition, the 5D will be very different to operate. If you have a good inventory of lenses and have been shooting in the creative zone of the camera for some time, I think you might be able to go for the 5D, or wait for its successor. The 5D's price is relatively low now considering it was $3200 when it first came out. You might like to read the articles from this link. It is the best resource for Canon in my opinion.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com

toosnvetts

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:38 am

Thank you much for the fast reply. I will immediately start reading that supplied information. I have been shooting bird life mostly for about a year and have purchased a 50 mm 1.8 , 70-200 4L IS USM and am experimenting with the 1.4X II Extender. Shooting aperture mode mostly, shutter mode for flying birds and hummingbirds. I understand the crop effect. I think I will be ready in the next year for sure and am devouring as much info as I can. Thank you for yours!

dharden

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:04 am

I've recently changed to a 5D (well I did actually keep the 20D as well!). Image quality is wonderful - loads of detail and doesn't need much sharpening. Excellent at high ISO, although noise is still there in the shadow detail. You definitely get more leeway for mis-exposed images in RAW than with a 20D though.

You may be better with a 40D for birds though - the crop factor has advantages for smaller subjects....Put a good 'L' lens on it and you'll be impressed I reckon...

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Upgrade to D5?