Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Considering buying XTi with 17-85 IS... what do you think?

Digital Cameras

Considering buying XTi with 17-85 IS... what do you think?

erickaom

Considering buying XTi with 17-85 IS... what do you think?

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 pm

I'm shopping for my first dSLR, and really leaning toward the XTi. Of course I've read all of the reviews about the kit lens, and I'm noticing that I have an option to pay a little more and go w/ the 17-85 IS instead of the kit lens.

For example, I could order from PCNation for $1,099, free shipping, no tax.

I guess I'm shying away from kit lens because I don't want to be dissatisfied and feel like I need to go out an buy a new lens right away.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

snappingturtle

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:53 pm

That is actually a great combination. The 17-85mm is a far better lens than the 18-55 that usually comes with the camera. It is better built, gives a better range and Image Stabilizatioin. The Xti iteself is an awesome camera that will allow you to learn Digital photography and still be easy on you. But if you wish to bring your photography even more, you will eventually have to get out of the Auto modes.

erickaom

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:53 am

Thanks htsung! I think so too. I'm really leaning toward this combo.

Appreciate your feedback!

erickaom

"S" series lens not compatible w/ other Canon's?

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:29 am

Actually, just saw this statement listed....

"S" Series Lens Only Works With Canon EOS Digital Rebel & Canon EOS 20D. Do NOT Use With the EOS-5D Or Any Other EOS Camera.

Kinda changes my thinking as I would eventually like to upgrade my camera from teh XTi... I'd hate to not be able to use the lens???

randy98mtu

Re: "S" series lens not compatible w/ other Canon'

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:57 pm

erickaom wrote:Actually, just saw this statement listed....

"S" Series Lens Only Works With Canon EOS Digital Rebel & Canon EOS 20D. Do NOT Use With the EOS-5D Or Any Other EOS Camera.

Kinda changes my thinking as I would eventually like to upgrade my camera from teh XTi... I'd hate to not be able to use the lens???

The problem is if you don't get a -S lens with your XTi (or other 1.6 camera) you will lose quite a bit at the wide end. I would get just the 17-85 but if you get any other lenses at a longer length, try not to get "S" series there.

As for the 17-85 lens, I would recommend it. I recently got a new 40D and initially I got the kit 28-135 lens. My camera was giving me error messages, so I took it back and since Best Buy didn't have any more in stock, they just returned it. I went out and ordered a body only and got the 17-85 and I'm much happier having the additional range at the wide end over the 28mm lens.

dharden

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:43 pm

just to clarify - you can only use the EF-S lenses on the EOS DSLR bodies that have the smaller mirrors (in terms of age I think it's the 300D / 20D onwards, including the 350D/XT, 400D/XTi, 30D and 40D)

If you try and use it on a 10D, for example, or on a 5D or film body then the mirror will hit the rear lens element - potential damage! On the 5D you wouldn't be getting a full image anyway - the image circle covered by the lens is smaller than a full frame sensor. I think it may be just too small for the 1D series as well.

The mirror issue doesn't apply to Sigma's DC lenses (don't confuse with DG - DG fits and works on full frame) but you will still have the smaller image circle problem on, say, a 5D. For that body you're really looking at the 24-105L (or, on a smaller budget perhaps the 28-135 IS) to get a similar field of view - not cheap (but great images!).

The 17-40L would give you the same wide end on the XTi as the 17-85 would, but you don't get the "longer end". Plus if you move the lens to a 5D it becomes VERY wide angle at the 17mm end, and you have even less at the "long end"

A 28-135 gives the same field of view on a 5D that the 17-85 gives on an XTi, so you'd have to change lenses anyway, in reality, unless you want to shoot differently!

Hope that helps a bit?.....

PS one lens that gives a very wide angle on the XTi and then EXTREME wide angle on the 5D is the Sigma 12-24 DG. However that is NOT an every day all-purpose lens :)

erickaom

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks for the clarification!

It is more likely that I will upgrade eventually to a 40D (vs 5D), so I was more concerned with being able to use the lens on that camera. Sounds like I am not limited as long as I stay with the smaller mirror bodies.

So, all that said, I do still think the 17-85 IS on an XTi will give me a good lens, with good range, for my first DSLR??

toosnvetts

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:43 pm

Newbie here! I bought the XTi 8 months ago with the 18-55 kit lens. Since then I have purchased a 50 mm 1.8 and a 70-200 4L IS USM. I am incredibly happy with all this equipment and I think you will be as well. I photograph mostly birds and wildlife. I will tell you that I am already thinking seriously about upgrading to a Canon 5D full frame. As others have suggested, you may want to buy future lenses with upgrade in mind. Lenses last longer than camera bodies I am fairly sure.

Have fun with your camera! :D

dharden

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 am

erickaom

The 17-85 is a fairly good lens, although i sold one i got with my 20d cos i wasn't happy with the sharpness. I then got a Sigma 17-70 that I was very happy with indeed. The Sigma is now in my friend's hands and he is impressed too! :o)

The IS certainly has it's uses - especially if you're new to DSLRs. My 24-105 has it and it certainly helps a lot in low light. Having said that you might want to look at a Sigma 18-50 EX or a Tamron 17-50. Both are f2.8 which means that your available shutter speeds are higher. IS can't help if your subject moves, remember!

Both the third party lenses are sharper than the 17-85 IS. The only issues i've had with Sigma is a tendency for colours to lean towards yellow a little. It's not major but can sometimes be annoying with landscapes as you have to correct it out or they look a bit un-natural. I don't know about the 17-50 Tamron but i had the 17-35 for a while and that was VERY yellow. I certainly noticed the difference (although not with sharpness) in colour and contrast when i got the "L" lenses.

See if you can get to a shop and try, say, the 17-70 and 18-50 Sigma, the 17-50 Tamron and the 17-85 Canon. You can see which you like best that way. Personally i'd look at the 18-50 Sigma but the key factor for you is whether you REALLY need IS and the slightly faster AF of the Canon lens.

I don't know if your budget would stretch to it but many Canon users love the 17-55 f2.8 IS. Worth looking at if you can afford it....especially if you're sticking with "crop factor" bodies in the long term.

HTH!

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Considering buying XTi with 17-85 IS... what do you think?