Digital Cameras

need advice on focus/sharpness

10inja

need advice on focus/sharpness

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:46 am

I took some pictures using my 5d and two lenses:
16-35 2.8 L
70-200 2.8 L IS

Can someone please take a look and let me know if there are any issues with any of those two lenses:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14383371@N07/

thank you

ronsc

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am

I suggest you post this on flickr instead of PBase.

--------------------------------------------------
Profile for 10inja Name 10inja (joined 02-Oct-2007)
Username 10inja
Email ferris415@aol.com

Location Escondido

Statistics 10inja has no images online.
These pages have been viewed a total of 3 times.
---------------------------------------------------

ewhalen

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:33 pm

WAYYY too small to tell if they are sharp or not.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

10inja

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:56 pm

ewhalen wrote:WAYYY too small to tell if they are sharp or not.

you can make it the original size, click on the picture

thanks

10inja

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:57 pm

ronsc wrote:I suggest you post this on flickr instead of PBase.

help me out, fill me in, why flickr and not pbase?

snappingturtle

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:47 pm

10inja wrote:
ronsc wrote:I suggest you post this on flickr instead of PBase.

help me out, fill me in, why flickr and not pbase?

Maybe he meant Pbase, not flickr. The photos seem in focus and in decent sharpness. But we cannot tell if they are 100% unless we see a larger resolution.

llung

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:54 am

Forgive me for saying this, but I'm a little confused as to why you would invest over $5000 on gear only to wonder whether the images are sharp enough. I think we can assume that the images would likely be somewhat sharper than those taken with a $100 camera phone.

10inja

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:06 am

llung wrote:Forgive me for saying this, but I'm a little confused as to why you would invest over $5000 on gear only to wonder whether the images are sharp enough. I think we can assume that the images would likely be somewhat sharper than those taken with a $100 camera phone.

lol

yes, I hear you as far as the 100%, I will try to put those on pbase and see if that works out better..
however, I think I'm going to pass on buying those lenses for now as it's not clear if there's a problem with the lenses..

dharden

Post Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:55 pm

ok they could do with being larger but at that size they certainly look OK. I've had a misfocus issue before with a 20D and it was very obvious. I wouldn't worry about your kit based on those samples.

I'm using a 5D currently and the focus is good and accurate until the light levels drop, where it can sometimes get a little erratic.

Also don't forget that the sharpness settings on the 5D's JPEGS are quite conservative. I use a highpass sharpening action in photoshop on my images and I recommend you try something similar (go to "the light's right" website and check out their actions downloads). If your image is out of focus then sharpening won't help it and you'll be able to tell then!

Obviously if you started with a RAW file then proper sharpening is essential before doing any kind of focus analysis.....

HTH!

newtothescenery

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:15 pm

You have a 5d. not no regular digicam. as long as you have your settings right you'll be okay. depending on the situation your settings should be different. FOR EXAMPLE, if you want to shoot sports, then you'd set the AF mode, and stabilizer mode to 2, while setting your camera focus settings on AI-servo. Otherwise for still objects, such as the barn you got going on, you'd want One-shot focus, and stabilizer on 1, unless your drunk - then 2. if your on a tripod, save your cam batteries and turn the stabilizer off.

Whether your in focus, sharp, blurry whatever - it should not be of concern in your presentations. You have a 5d, and lemme tell you - my 30d focuses just the way i want it EVERY single time. study your cam, your manual, etc. learn that ish, and fiddle with it till you know it inside out.

Also, a good way to check your focus is by zooming in, focusing and then zooming out. Since the distance will be the same, the focus will be in the right area. Capiche? :lol:
Canon EOS 30D, EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, BG-E2 Grip, 580EX, http://www.BlendedEvents.com

pritchett

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:02 am

Agree with the above comments. Too small to tell detail. You need to look at 100% crops. Although I can tell you that you have severe vingnetting on the 16-35mm shots (which often happens on a full frame camera like the 5D).

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras need advice on focus/sharpness