Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon IS lens question

Digital Cameras

Canon IS lens question

snappingturtle

Canon IS lens question

Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:13 pm

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 EF IS USM autofocus lens. I am interested about the Image stabalizer. I was told that it is an ideal for using a low shutter speed without a tripod. I am wondering if it could solve a problem I was experiencing with my current lens.

In shooting indoor sports like basketball, I have a lens without at constant aperture. As a result I try to keep the shutter as low as possible to allow more light in. This low unfortunately is 1/400. If I go any lower, I get fuzzy subject but slightly brighter pictures. I am just wondering if the Image stabilizing system would work in my situation by allowing me to lower the shutter speed to something like 1/250 so that I can allow more light without fuzzy subjects.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hugh

mrdazzler

IS

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:33 am

No it won't really help in this situation. It will allow you to get a lower shutter speed because it will reduce the effects of camera shake. Unfortunately you need a faster shutter speed not a slower one to freeze movement, IS will not reduce movement blur caused by the subject moving only that caused by the camera moving.

To get a faster shutter speed you'll need to either:

a) Increase ISO (but I guess you've done this and still can't get fast enough shutter speeds).

b) Get a lens with a wider aperture. This is expensive on a zoom lens (and even then typically only f2.8 which may still not be enough for sport if the light is very poor). That's why most sports shooters use fast primes. Your best bet wuld be to buy the fastest prime you can afford at the focal length you use most often.

c) Increase the light, using flash or strobes if this is feasible.

I don't shoot sports though so this is just my understanding, you could checkout the lens forum over on dpreview for more detailed advice.

maderito

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:08 pm

This winter I shot women's basketball for the first time with a 10D. It was hard!! Lessons learned:

1. Need fast lens. I used Canon 85/1.8 and 50/1.4
2. Need high ISO - 800 to 1600
3. Need fast shutter speed - 1/250 and higher
4. Need VERY fast camera focusing system.
5. Get close to the action and fill the frame.

On point 4, I mainly used AI Servo focusing mode which really didn't work well. From reading and talking with others who do sports, you can only get a high percentage of good shots with a very fast autofocus sytem. In the Canon line, that would be the Canon 1D or its new replacement, the 1D Mark II. But that's 3 times the price of the 10D. What are your priorities? :D

The Canon IS lens you mentioned wouldn't work unless you had a dedicated strobe system to illuminate the court. As noted, the IS feature would not help freeze the fast-paced action.

Some shots from my experience: http://www.pbase.com/maderito/womans_basketball

ukexpat

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:36 pm

maderito wrote:This winter I shot women's basketball for the first time with a 10D. It was hard!! Lessons learned:

1. Need fast lens. I used Canon 85/1.8 and 50/1.4
2. Need high ISO - 800 to 1600
3. Need fast shutter speed - 1/250 and higher
4. Need VERY fast camera focusing system.
5. Get close to the action and fill the frame.

On point 4, I mainly used AI Servo focusing mode which really didn't work well. From reading and talking with others who do sports, you can only get a high percentage of good shots with a very fast autofocus sytem. In the Canon line, that would be the Canon 1D or its new replacement, the 1D Mark II. But that's 3 times the price of the 10D. What are your priorities? :D

The Canon IS lens you mentioned wouldn't work unless you had a dedicated strobe system to illuminate the court. As noted, the IS feature would not help freeze the fast-paced action.

Some shots from my experience: http://www.pbase.com/maderito/womans_basketball

Excellent points and I would add one more:

Use a monopod!!

snappingturtle

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:08 pm

Thank You all for your response. I guess I can stick with my phoenix and substitute it with my new Tamron. Although I still might find this Canon lens useful for outdoors such as soccer or field hockey where there is plenty of light and a long zoom is needed.

Hugh

ukexpat

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:30 pm

htsung wrote:Thank You all for your response. I guess I can stick with my phoenix and substitute it with my new Tamron. Although I still might find this Canon lens useful for outdoors such as soccer or field hockey where there is plenty of light and a long zoom is needed.

Hugh

Even in good light a long lens like the 100-400 needs additional support -- don't forget that at the 400mm end, the f/o/v is the equivalent of a 640mm lens on a 35mm SLR, and no one in their right minds would try to hand-hold that, even with IS...

snappingturtle

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:28 am

So you suggest I get a monopod?

ukexpat

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:01 am

htsung wrote:So you suggest I get a monopod?

Yes, check out this page at the Really Right Stuff site -- I use the swivel with one of their QR clamps, works great:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutoria ... index.html

joubert

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:32 am

Hugh[/quote]

Even in good light a long lens like the 100-400 needs additional support -- don't forget that at the 400mm end, the f/o/v is the equivalent of a 640mm lens on a 35mm SLR, and no one in their right minds would try to hand-hold that, even with IS...[/quote]

Sorry to disagree, but in good light, you can shoot hanheld and get sharp pictures (of course with an adequate f/stop).

On the other hand, if you do not switch off IS with a monopod, AF can work in a hazardous way

ukexpat

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:32 pm

joubert wrote:Sorry to disagree, but in good light, you can shoot hanheld and get sharp pictures (of course with an adequate f/stop).

On the other hand, if you do not switch off IS with a monopod, AF can work in a hazardous way

That is not my experience -- maybe I am just getting old and my arms are not as steady as they used to be, but with the zoom at 400, it is very hard to eliminate camera shake. Don't forget that IS is just a tool like autofocus, it is not a panacea for inadequate support and proper technique. Also, I have never had any IS/AF problems using this lens with a monopod:

decloedt

Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:21 pm

I've used the 35-350 and 100-400 lenses handheld with no problem. A large number of the pictures in my "Animals" gallery were with one of those two lenses. Some people just have steadier hands than others, I guess.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon IS lens question