Board index Equipment Digital Cameras DX sensor in a P&S.

Digital Cameras

DX sensor in a P&S.

cbrown77

DX sensor in a P&S.

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:09 pm

Why has this not happened? Both film P&S and SLRs take the same format so why couldn't this be applied to a P&S to get great high ISO results?

Any ideas? I seems to me that the drive to get these cameras down in size is one thing. Mybe it's just me but if I could get wide to tele zoom in a p&s with a DX sensor my SLR would be gathering dust for all but the widest and furthest subjects.

CB

castledude

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:54 pm

It did happen, The Sony R1..
It got great reviews and had a really good lens, but nobody bought one.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

If you are really interested you might still find some old stock.

But you are probably just better off getting a small DSLR and a decent lens or checking out some of the newer low light cameras that have built in noise reduction algorithms.

ewhalen

Re: DX sensor in a P&S.

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:08 pm

cbrown77 wrote:Why has this not happened? Both film P&S and SLRs take the same format so why couldn't this be applied to a P&S to get great high ISO results?

Any ideas? I seems to me that the drive to get these cameras down in size is one thing. Mybe it's just me but if I could get wide to tele zoom in a p&s with a DX sensor my SLR would be gathering dust for all but the widest and furthest subjects.

CB

P&S film cameras sucked though.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

cbrown77

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The dream would be to have something as packable as a P&S with a DX sensor. Even something as large as a film p&s would be more convenient then a DSLR.

The R1 is the size of a DSRL so that's out.

Thanks agian,

CB

e2thaa

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:44 am

what about the fuji f20 and f30?
they have great low-light performance due to fuji's super ccd chip and not piling on the megapixels.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras DX sensor in a P&S.