Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Fuji S3 - what Sigma lens fits?

Digital Cameras

Fuji S3 - what Sigma lens fits?

sr_s3

Fuji S3 - what Sigma lens fits?

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:01 am

I'm considering purchasing the Fujifilm S3 Pro, and wanted to know if the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 fits? I'm new to the F-Mount system, so I don't quite fully understand the range of Sigma lenses that will work on the S3.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

ride_the_spiral

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:26 pm

If the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 is a Nikon F mount lens (which it is) then I don't see why it shouldn't fit.

I did a quick search and found this page http://www.popphoto.com/lensreview/sigm ... macro.html
which states that it does indeed fit.

I got the following from photo.net http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009sYQ:

"Technically, you only need to use Nikon F mount lenses on the Fuji S2/S3, but they don't have to be Nikkors made by Nikon. Sigma, Tamron, etc. etc. make lots of Nikon F mount lenses. Whether it is desirable to use those 3rd-party lenses on an S3 is another issue."

The s3 has an autofocus motor built into the body, so as long the lens is a 'Sigma AF' it should autofocus as well.

Good luck,

Tim
Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.pbase.com/ride_the_spiral

sr_s3

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:26 am

Thanks for the reply Tim!

I got some recommendations about lenses in terms of brand - Tokina seems to be really good so I'll need to sort out if the lens will mount to the S3, and of course Nikkor lenses.

I'll check out the links. It's difficult to find lenses on websites (ebay, buydig) that say the lens is F-Mount.

Thanks again,

Scott

e2thaa

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:29 am

to reiterate, any nikon f-mount af lens will work with your fuji.

tokina -- who manufacture the glass used by nikon -- has two grades of lenses. consumer and at-x. dont wast your time with a non-at-x tokina. the at-x models --i have the 12-24 and the 24-200 -- are built like tanks. the 12-24 compares favorably with the 12-24 nikkor in terms of optical quality, while the 24-200 is a sleeper alternative to the heavily-hyped (nikon must love ken rockwell) 18-200, with much better build quality and about the same optics. no vr, for for $300 new, that's ok. also the tokina 100 at-x macro is supposed to be very good, with fast AF for a macro.

e2thaa

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:34 am

while i'm on the subject of nikon-compatible 3rd party lenses, with sigma, avoid everything but the EX series. i have the 50-150 f/2.8 and it's pretty darn sweet.

i looked at the sigma 18-50 but ultimately got the tamron 17-50, which is almost as sharp as the nikkor 50/1.8. the sigma uses 82mm filters, while the tamron uses standard 67mm filters. so while the sig might retail for a bit less, when you price out 82mm uv, cpl, and nd grads, you're paying quite a bit more in the end.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Fuji S3 - what Sigma lens fits?