Board index Equipment Digital Cameras D300 or D3? - A beginner to digital

Digital Cameras

D300 or D3? - A beginner to digital

brandywine

D300 or D3? - A beginner to digital

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:53 pm

I would like to switch to digital. (I know, I took my time).
I've always used Nikons, currently shoot the F6. I'm not a professional. This is just a hobby. But what is important to me, is a camera I can use under any circumstances - cold, heat, dusty or rain, etc...

Any inputs?

P.S. - All my current lenses are AF-S, from the wide 17-35 2.8 to the 600 4.0. Are they acceptable to the digitals?

Thank you.

jdepould

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:49 am

Those lenses will work.

Biggest decision you have to make is full frame sensor or APS-C size. The D3 has a full 35mm sensor, so the lenses will give you the same results you'd get with film. The D300 has a smaller sensor, which introduces a crop factor of approximately 1.5 (50mm would have the same field of view as a 75mm on a full frame). I'd say get the D300, I use a 200 and it's great, full weather sealing, 5fps, magnesium frame, etc.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

brandywine

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:27 am

Thanks for the info.
It is rather enticing to be able to use my 600mm as a 900mm.
I was at first leaning towards the D3. Now I will get both.

Thanks again.

teiladay

Re: D300 or D3? - A beginner to digital

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:45 am

No one can realistically recommend a lens/camera before knowing what you typically shoot :) *If you shoot architectual structures 90% of the time, then it would be counter productive for you to purchase the D300. If you shoot wildlife from a'far and sports 90% of the time.. then it wouldn't make sense to purchase the D3.

Analyze what you shoot most and or what you're likely to shoot in the future. If you think you'll shoot wide angle, portraits, and nothing really at a far distance, then the D3 wins hands down. If you'll be shooting racing, football games and only occasionally shooting wide... then the D300 is a hard act to pass up!

Good luck!

Cordially

Teila K. Day

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras D300 or D3? - A beginner to digital