Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 40D first impressions

Digital Cameras

40D first impressions

snappingturtle

40D first impressions

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:46 am

I just got my 40D today. Lucky enough to be the 1st in line to hold one at my nearest retail camera store. They were dropping from the shelves like flies just shortly after shipment. Here are my first looks.

A new design to get used to. The menu being more 1D-like the most you will have to orient yourself to is the redesigned custom functions. For example gone is the AE/AF lock mode option (one of my favorites). It is replaced with the AF-on button option. So if you are graduating from an earlier camera, get ready for some changes.

The speed is decent. 6.5 fps does give you better hit chances in areas like sports. It is only two shots shy of the 1D spec in this category just a year ago. Shutter is suprisingly much quieter. I would say almost as quiet as the venerable 10D. The viewfinder is very improved. Good to the point where the live LCD function is absolutely uneccessary. The pop-up flash sounds different.

Even though it is more "professional" than ever, it still has the consumer characteristics. This includes the basic zone and lack of soft touch shutter. But it will still satisfy proffesionals just like its predecessors.

At the price of $1299, this is a great buy in its own right. I think it is overal superior to the Nikon D200 which is now $200 more.

I am aware of the 1D Mark III's focusing issues. So far I did not detect any in this camera, but I have yet to fully deploy it on a serious assignment. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

IMHO DIGIC III does not improve image quality over DIGIC II. I may believe the the battery effiecency improvement, but I played with the Canon 1D Mark III on images from my 20Ds and 5D and found little if any difference.

Overall this is a great camera that I reccomend. It will have the widest audience out of all the cameras in Canon's EOS system. An experienced photographer with good lenses will get fine results akin to cameras like the Canon 1D family or Nikon D2 family. While beggingers may have some trouble with a camera like this, Canon has preserved the automatic modes to fall back on. But I want to stress to all that your pictures will not improve if you do not dare to explore.

My two cents :lol:

bug322

Post Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:26 pm

The D200 is from a while ago anyway but does it have weather seals ?
100.000 cylces.

Ill wait for the D300 150.000 cycles 2 mp more and does 8 fps with powergrip

And a cool militairy robust nikon look. And no fancy white lenses.

:)

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:32 pm

indeed.. Nikon's d2/300 bodies (ergonomically speaking) are streets ahead of the 10/20/30/40d.
From the Canon point of view, the 40d is what the 20d should've been. Canon appear to have been a little complacent, 5d aside. Too many incremental changes. Now they have a worry because the new Nikon gear is grabbing headlines for once.

A good thing all round.. means people will get more bang for their buck over the next year.

The d200 sensor's not as nice as the Canon, but the d300 is shaping up (bugs aside, as one can't predict that) to be a superb machine.

always been impressed with (30d & 20d here) battery life on Canon's lower end DSLRs. D200's battery life isn't much (esp in RAW mode). Nikon claim the d300 will be double that with the std battery, but also one can buy the (expensive) grip & add in the D2x/D3's monster battery.

user reports of the d3 (which uses the same AF module as the d300) are pretty scarily good. Indeed, having that same AF module in such a relatively inexpensive camera is exciting.

Canon really need to make a camera that sits between the 1d bodies & the 400d/40d.

Honestly, spent an afternoon with me mate & his 30d, and despite my d200's less than brilliant-at-high-ISO sensor, I know I'll take the d200 body every time.

mesullivan

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:28 pm

When I decided to move into the autofocus/digital age I checked out everything I could get my hands on and to me the Nikons have the worst ergonomics so when I hear people talk about the bad ergonomics of Canon I realize they mean for them. If ergonomics were that bad for the average canon user I don't think you would see so many of them.

But, anyway the AF, high ISO, and IQ of the Canon is ahead of the Nikon for the present and for the present Nikon is ahead on FF FPS. I don't see Canon letting it stay that way very long. It will be a matter of pride if nothing else. I figure the 5Ds successor will be a little faster, higher megapixel, and more feature laden than the D3 so I'll just stay with Canon and await the inevitable from Canon and I am very thankful to Nikon for bringing out the new bodies as Canon needs the competition.

marxz

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:30 pm

mesullivan wrote:When I decided to move into the autofocus/digital age I checked out everything I could get my hands on and to me the Nikons have the worst ergonomics so when I hear people talk about the bad ergonomics of Canon I realize they mean for them.

Hate to "me too" on posts but given that I'd used Nikons so much ( F3's to F5's) I just assumed I'd go that way coming back to photography after so may years, end up finding the Canon's much nicer ergonomically and that being one of the big reasons I went that way.
there is no .sig

bug322

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Its all a matter of taste it doesnt really matter especialy the high iso's
Why should i try to photograph everything at iso 1600 i rather use a tripod and go 200. Still my nikon does fine at 800 .

I love the design and yes compared to my brothers 350D the 350D simply sucks compared to it not to mention the irritating pop flash when u need some focus light.

My brother didnt fell in love but i surely did.

I think the canon designs are just ugly especialy the pentaprism house.
I know it has nothing to do with taking pictures but i just feel that way.

Nikon camera's are really rigid well builded nice designed camera's

Digic2 double processors its all to comercial.

And now Nikon comes with Expeed its just comercial fluf for the mass to buy

regards

mesullivan

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:44 pm

Yeah, a lot of features are for taking photographers rather than taking photographs and so much is individual and subjective I say everybody is spending their own money and ought to get what they want but the buyer should beware.

jdepould

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:19 pm

bug322 wrote:Its all a matter of taste it doesnt really matter especialy the high iso's
Why should i try to photograph everything at iso 1600 i rather use a tripod and go 200. Still my nikon does fine at 800 .

Not necessarily an option, mainly when dealing with sports. Even with a constant aperture zoom you'll still be pushing the ISO. Of course, if you don't shoot sports then you couldn't care less.

Agreed on the ergonomics thing; it's totally personal preference and physiology. I don't know how the more expensive Canons are, but when I was buying my D50, the 350D just didn't fit in my hands properly, I found myself searching for the shutter release and the body was just too small. I have fairly large hands (really, just long fingers) and the Nikon fit perfectly, so it was a no-brainer.

When it comes right down to it, there isn't much difference between the top players and you can't go wrong, you're going to get a good camera.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

attila_cseh

Re: 40D first impressions

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi!
I just sold my 3 month old 30D to get a 40D. And i wanted to buy from ritz camera, but is not in stock yet. where did you buy it?

randy98mtu

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 pm

attila_cseh wrote:Hi!
I just sold my 3 month old 30D to get a 40D. And i wanted to buy from ritz camera, but is not in stock yet. where did you buy it?

I got mine at Best Buy. Go to their page, buy online and search for a store in your area that has them in stock. Drive there and pick it up. Ordering it online will pull it off the shelf and it'll be waiting there for you. :)

mesullivan

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:07 pm

jdepould wrote:
bug322 wrote:Its all a matter of taste it doesnt really matter especialy the high iso's

Not necessarily an option, mainly when dealing with sports. Even with a constant aperture zoom you'll still be pushing the ISO. Of course, if you don't shoot sports then you couldn't care less.

Agreed on the ergonomics thing; it's totally personal preference and physiology. I don't know how the more expensive Canons are, but when I was buying my D50, the 350D just didn't fit in my hands properly, I found myself searching for the shutter release and the body was just too small. I have fairly large hands (really, just long fingers) and the Nikon fit perfectly, so it was a no-brainer.

When it comes right down to it, there isn't much difference between the top players and you can't go wrong, you're going to get a good camera.

I would like to put my hands on a Nikon besides the D40/70. The D80 is OK for my hands, the Rebels feel way too small without the battery packs. One reason I have battrypacks/winders on everything I own is because I wear a 9 1/2 surgical glove. It's actually easier to hold on to something with some substance.....and a handle. :-) Small things get dropped too easily. Now if I could only convince my neck that bigger/heavier is better.

jdepould

Post Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:14 pm

mesullivan wrote:
I would like to put my hands on a Nikon besides the D40/70. The D80 is OK for my hands, the Rebels feel way too small without the battery packs. One reason I have battrypacks/winders on everything I own is because I wear a 9 1/2 surgical glove. It's actually easier to hold on to something with some substance.....and a handle. :-) Small things get dropped too easily. Now if I could only convince my neck that bigger/heavier is better.

D200 + MB-D200 will do ya. Thing's a friggin' tank.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

attila_cseh

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:28 am

Just one problem with best buy , the tax is 123.75!! If I will order from Ritz Camera 1499.00 without tax, with lens :)

randy98mtu

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:35 am

attila_cseh wrote:Just one problem with best buy , the tax is 123.75!! If I will order from Ritz Camera 1499.00 without tax, with lens :)

The tax in Michigan was only $90. I'm an instant gratification kind of person. :)

This is my first DSLR, so I can't really make many comments. I'm still learning how to set things up properly. My last digital had NO manual control (SD700IS) Here are a few that turned out pretty good last weekend. Let me know what you think. http://www.pbase.com/randy98mtu/ludington

snappingturtle

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:34 am

Check out this gallery. Still working on it. But at least some samples and photos. http://www.pbase.com/htsung/canon_eos_40d For your curiosity, I got mine at my nearest authorized retailer. I was just the first one there when the UPS truck stopped by with 40Ds. They were all gone within hours which also explains situations like those at B&H.

Next

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 40D first impressions