Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 40D first impressions

Digital Cameras

40D first impressions

brode2

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:42 am

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now (got it the first day it arrived at Hooper Cameras). Have not worked it out enough yet, but what I do like already is that my shots need no help from PhotoShop. Exposure is right on in basic mode. The 3" LCD screen is a major improvement also. But understand, I'm stepping up from the 10D, which makes for a quantum step forward.

randy98mtu

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:40 pm

My 40D went back because I kept getting Err99 at the worst times. Of course Best Buy didn't have anymore. This allowed me to get them to return it though and I was free to make different choices now. After contemplating the 400D with the 17-85 IS and the 70-300 IS all at once, I decided to get the 40D body only with the 17-85 IS. One of the reasons I wanted to go to a DSLR was to have some wide angle options, and I was finding that the 28-135 cheated me on that a bit. I can't wait for it to come in now!!!

ronsc

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:51 am

After a week and a half with my 40D I finally decided to post a comment in here. The bottom line is I LOVE IT. I upgraded from a Rebel XT (350D) and it’s like being in a different photographic world.

The 10 MP sensor is great and comes in handy when I have to crop, which I do quite often since I enjoy photographing birds.

The self-cleaning feature is very nice and today I used it to eliminate a speck of dust. I did have to turn the camera off and back on, but it knocked that little sucker out of there.

The 3â€

marxz

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:47 am

jdepould wrote:
bug322 wrote:Its all a matter of taste it doesnt really matter especialy the high iso's
Why should i try to photograph everything at iso 1600 i rather use a tripod and go 200. Still my nikon does fine at 800 .

Not necessarily an option, mainly when dealing with sports. Even with a constant aperture zoom you'll still be pushing the ISO. Of course, if you don't shoot sports then you couldn't care less.

it's not just sports shooting were clear high ISO's help and tripods are a right royal PitA for 90% of shooting.
Indoor, night street shooting, theatre, stage, festival, travel, kids..... none of them particularly tripod friendly and IS isn't the whole answer.

Usable 1600 ISO? bring it on I say. !BRING IT ON!
there is no .sig

bug322

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:42 am

My D50 is usable at iso 1600

np

i dont have flash so with this shot i had too.

i dont fear iso 1600

marxz

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:56 am

yeh the 20d (and by extension) the 30d were usable at 1600... in certain situations.... I've pulled lots of shots off at that speed but still night shots were frequently difficult.

... and occationally you could even work with 3200 ISO - reasonably good result (not that it's a great photo just that shot in ambient light it came up reasonably noise free on the subject), post noise ninja at 3200:

http://www.pbase.com/marxz/image/76422736

not so good result, post noise ninja at 3200:

http://www.pbase.com/marxz/image/76422737
there is no .sig

dmitrim

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:06 pm

unless you guys are giving the 100% crop,your pictures with your iso are completely useless!! Post your 100% crop THEN you can trully compare the cameras

marxz

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:36 am

dmitrim wrote:unless you guys are giving the 100% crop,your pictures with your iso are completely useless!! Post your 100% crop THEN you can trully compare the cameras

sigh..... no we're not comparing camera's just a bit of playyard "my ISO's bigger than your ISO" :P

no really what I was expressing was a desire to see a DSLR that _could_ be used constantly at 800 or 1600 (as compared to my 20d where 400 is the everyday ISO or 100 on my d60)
there is no .sig

conundrum

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:21 am

Had mine for 2 weeks now. shot 2 soccer games, 1 group of cheerleaders, misc landscape (day and dusk), 2 freelance photojournalist type jobs ,both inside, both badly lit...I also have a 20D (now my back-up) The 40D is a totally different, better camera. It captures color and contrast in RAW quite nicely requiring very little post processing. Auto sensor cleaning is a gem asw well haven't had to fix a spot yet!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-c-thngs/

With the camera in High speed shooting mode, at times it is too fast! :D

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 40D first impressions