Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Going Digital

Digital Cameras

Going Digital

filterofsyntax

Going Digital

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:47 pm

I really don't want to do this, but I'm going digital. I simply don't have the time and/or money to get my rolls developed on a regular basis.
I need something that obviously will work in low-light situations (taking pics of bands). I'm looking to spend somewhere in the area of $700. Anybody have any suggestions?

wilfredmrand

A couple questions first

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:42 pm

$700 doesn't get you into dSLR, so you'd be looking at a point-and-shoot package. Before we can provide an informed answer, it would help to know how large you intend to print, and whether you depend on flash or high ISO/ASA to get your images.

ukexpat

Re: Going Digital

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:19 pm

filterofsyntax wrote:I really don't want to do this, but I'm going digital. I simply don't have the time and/or money to get my rolls developed on a regular basis.
I need something that obviously will work in low-light situations (taking pics of bands). I'm looking to spend somewhere in the area of $700. Anybody have any suggestions?

If you can stretch your budget to the $900 mark, take a look at the Canon 300D aka the Digital Rebel...

filterofsyntax

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:02 pm

Well I actually, at this point don't plan on printing any of these images out. I have a Pentax SLR, which I'll use for anything I plan on printing out, this camera will basically be for web-use. Well, the way I always got my pictures before was with 400 speed ISO, built-in flash.

Yeah, I've been looking at that one, I just figure I'm going to need some extras, after I buy the camera.

castledude

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:53 pm

I would advise any of the following:

1) Wait and save some bucks up for a *ist-Digital, You can use your existing glass and will get better results. D70+ Kit lense is a good alternative. I have not liked the 300D for flash pictures, it's low light focusing is disturbing (it does a strobe effect).

2) Canon G3+420ex flash ... Good low light for a P/S Canon glass and ASA 200 looks really good on this camera. The pop out and twisting display is great where you want to shoot over a crowd.

3) Panasonic LZ10+Sunpak 383 ... IS will allow you to shoot with the big zoom handheld at low shutter speeds the 383 will punch out 40+ feet at ASA 100. Looks very SLR like so you still look like a pro. Fantastic glass by Leica (35-420mm equivalent)

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Going Digital