Board index Equipment Digital Cameras The Canon EF 200 f/1.8L USM Lens..!

Digital Cameras

The Canon EF 200 f/1.8L USM Lens..!

csblaze

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:12 am

....do you people even bother helping?

Im sure you would like to know why this lens was put out of production.

1.) There was lead coating on certain elements in the lens to mantain sharpness due to large aperture and focal length. Since this is deemed enviromentally unfriendly that killed it.

2.) Most people would buy the 300mm f/2.8 and such becuase thats good enough for outdoor sports. Apparently there wasnt a market for the 200mm f/1.8 which is by far a superior and useful lens.

This is the best lens Canon every produced. Invaluable for indoor sports.

I know a Canon service rep dude who owns a 200mm f/1.8 (no, he wont sell it and its pretty beaten up).

If you want I could query this to him and see what he says about trying to get one.

BTW Common Sence dictates that some Canon factory in Japan has 1000 of these lenses sitting in a volt along with multiples of every product that Canon has every manafactured brandnew. Yes, I wouldnt doubt they have brandnew F1's, and brandnew FD system stuff. You wouldnt be able to get anything (unless you offered them 1 billion $$$) but its like everyone is saying they do not exist. Yeah right.

Im sure youve already checked but IF you havent I would look at eBay becuase I know you can get them (lots of people sell em cus they get good money). Wether you could get a mint one is anyones guess.

leejungil

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 pm

thanks for the info on this very special lens. Yes I have seen quite a few on Ebay over the last year, however I am looking for a "Like new" or "New" Condition one to add to the fleet. Sure would love to find a lonely one still in its sealed box somewhere..? In the mean time I am just in hope of a new model like a Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L IS USM Even if the price is $5000.00 or more, I am sure lots of them would sell.

ewhalen

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:48 am

bulbmogul wrote:thanks for the info on this very special lens. Yes I have seen quite a few on Ebay over the last year, however I am looking for a "Like new" or "New" Condition one to add to the fleet. Sure would love to find a lonely one still in its sealed box somewhere..? In the mean time I am just in hope of a new model like a Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L IS USM Even if the price is $5000.00 or more, I am sure lots of them would sell.

You wont find an old lens like this "new" because people USED them because they are TOOLS.

It's like trying to find a "new" 10 year old jack hammer.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

snappingturtle

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:38 pm

bulbmogul wrote:thanks for the info on this very special lens. Yes I have seen quite a few on Ebay over the last year, however I am looking for a "Like new" or "New" Condition one to add to the fleet. Sure would love to find a lonely one still in its sealed box somewhere..? In the mean time I am just in hope of a new model like a Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L IS USM Even if the price is $5000.00 or more, I am sure lots of them would sell.

Maybe you should ask this guy how he got his http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

Anymore effort and you can find yourself cursing in Japanese to the Canon CEO.

leejungil

EF200mm 1.8L

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:15 am

Many thanks to all whom have helped in my delema. I still continue to search for the Mint and flawless copy of this awesome lens.

Cheers, Jerry

gemmf

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras The Canon EF 200 f/1.8L USM Lens..!