Board index Equipment Digital Cameras KODAK DX6490 or MINOLTA Z1 ... ?

Digital Cameras

KODAK DX6490 or MINOLTA Z1 ... ?

dryasin

KODAK DX6490 or MINOLTA Z1 ... ?

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:06 am

i have kodak dx6490 but on its lcd a few red and blue points occured they dont disappear while watching video clips and on picts.Cause of that I send it and now waiting for finishing the problem.But the seller sold me the kodak dx6490 recommended the minolta z1 aggresivly...
which is better ? Have you any idea ?
or which brand's camera may i use
-ultra zoom camera
-min. 4 megapixels
-excellent photo quality
-nice battery life
.... which digital camera you recommend
See you ...

ukexpat

Re: KODAK DX6490 or MINOLTA Z1 ... ?

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:11 pm

dryasin wrote:i have kodak dx6490 but on its lcd a few red and blue points occured they dont disappear while watching video clips and on picts.Cause of that I send it and now waiting for finishing the problem.But the seller sold me the kodak dx6490 recommended the minolta z1 aggresivly...
-ultra zoom camera
-min. 4 megapixels
-excellent photo quality
-nice battery life
See you ...

Do these pixel problems appear on the pics as well? If not, then it sounds like the LC display has some dead pixels. Should not really bother you. If you are looking for an alternativem check out the Canon G5 -- not as sexy as some cameras, but a great performer IMHO.

dryasin

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:43 pm

yes the red and blue dots can be easily seen on video clips and some pictures while watching on pc or on prints.I thouht Canon's prosumer camera G5 but prefer a long zoom camera to use on birds generally ...
But many many thanls for your advise..Glad to meet you..See you soon
ukexpat wrote:
dryasin wrote:i have kodak dx6490 but on its lcd a few red and blue points occured they dont disappear while watching video clips and on picts.Cause of that I send it and now waiting for finishing the problem.But the seller sold me the kodak dx6490 recommended the minolta z1 aggresivly...
-ultra zoom camera
-min. 4 megapixels
-excellent photo quality
-nice battery life
See you ...

Do these pixel problems appear on the pics as well? If not, then it sounds like the LC display has some dead pixels. Should not really bother you. If you are looking for an alternativem check out the Canon G5 -- not as sexy as some cameras, but a great performer IMHO.

ukexpat

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:50 pm

dryasin wrote:yes the red and blue dots can be easily seen on video clips and some pictures while watching on pc or on prints.I thouht Canon's prosumer camera G5 but prefer a long zoom camera to use on birds generally ...

In that case your sensor has some faulty pixels. If you are serious about digital photography, have you thought about a DSLR or Canon's recently announced Pro1: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04020908canonpro1.asp

dryasin

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:01 pm

In fact the dx6490 is the first digital camera that I used.But not so much like , perhaps its attractive design and the 10X zoom inspired me.I am a serious amateur about digital photography and want to improve.But in my opinion with the kodak it is impssible :)
What is your own opinions on minolta dimage z1, is this more capable from dx6490...
for
ukexpat wrote:
dryasin wrote:yes the red and blue dots can be easily seen on video clips and some pictures while watching on pc or on prints.I thouht Canon's prosumer camera G5 but prefer a long zoom camera to use on birds generally ...

In that case your sensor has some faulty pixels. If you are serious about digital photography, have you thought about a DSLR or Canon's recently announced Pro1: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04020908canonpro1.asp

ukexpat

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:51 pm

dryasin wrote:In fact the dx6490 is the first digital camera that I used.But not so much like , perhaps its attractive design and the 10X zoom inspired me.I am a serious amateur about digital photography and want to improve.But in my opinion with the kodak it is impssible :)
What is your own opinions on minolta dimage z1, is this more capable from dx6490...

Sorry cannot help you with the Minolta -- apart from a brief flirtation with Olympus 4 years ago, I have been a Canon man since 1979.

Check some of the review sites like dpreview.com

castledude

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:16 pm

I'm a fellow owner/user of the 6490. It is a great camera and I have now shot over 8000 pics with it. I'm sorry you got a bad one but even if the failure rate is .001% somebody is going to get a bad one. The failure rate for this camera (based on board posts) is no better or worse than any other camera.

The Z1/Z2 on paper is better but unfortunately the Lense/sensor are not getting great reviews.

Making a 10x zoom is tricky and Kodak did it right, Olympus did an OK job but not as good as the Kodak.

I would not want to drop to 3MP that the Z1 has (4MP is tight for me with cropping for printing at 8x10 with quality with 3MP I would have a harder time getting good results with cropping). The Z2 may be better than the intial reviews but based on the Z1 I would not hold out much hope.

For a similar price you might want to look at the Panasonic FZ10 it has a 12x zoom with IS and it gets great reviews (it is the only camera I would have probably bought instead of the 6490).

Option 2 is to drop the zoom a little and go with an Minolta A1 (being replaced with the A2 so it has heavy discounting), Sony 717 (also being replaced). You can add an adapter on the end of both of these cameras to give you some extra magnification.

If you want to go to $800+ the 8MP cameras (Pro1, A2, 8700) and DSLRs (D70) are nice on paper (reviews are still a little scarce). 300D is popular but it does have it's own set of issues.

dryasin

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:48 am

So many thanks for your helpful words you relaxed me about this camera and from now on it gained its place again in my mind.According to me you are very very experienced in DX6490 so i can trust your recommendings easily.8000 pics is very huge for me :) Now i am waiting my camera from repair service maybe they change it by a new one.My digital camera shop in my city is a minolta distrubutor and they agressivly recommend me z1.Not z1 but z2 can be a more serious alternative for my DX6490 and i read its 800x600 resolution video clips capabilities and very excited about it ( in DX6490 its limited by 320x240 only.In turkey the options you gave me are more expensive according to europe about +100$) but many many thank for your advises i listened you as an expert about DX6490
Glad to meet you.. Thanks your nice words ... want to meet you again ..bye..
castledude wrote:I'm a fellow owner/user of the 6490. It is a great camera and I have now shot over 8000 pics with it. I'm sorry you got a bad one but even if the failure rate is .001% somebody is going to get a bad one. The failure rate for this camera (based on board posts) is no better or worse than any other camera.

The Z1/Z2 on paper is better but unfortunately the Lense/sensor are not getting great reviews.

Making a 10x zoom is tricky and Kodak did it right, Olympus did an OK job but not as good as the Kodak.

I would not want to drop to 3MP that the Z1 has (4MP is tight for me with cropping for printing at 8x10 with quality with 3MP I would have a harder time getting good results with cropping). The Z2 may be better than the intial reviews but based on the Z1 I would not hold out much hope.

For a similar price you might want to look at the Panasonic FZ10 it has a 12x zoom with IS and it gets great reviews (it is the only camera I would have probably bought instead of the 6490).

Option 2 is to drop the zoom a little and go with an Minolta A1 (being replaced with the A2 so it has heavy discounting), Sony 717 (also being replaced). You can add an adapter on the end of both of these cameras to give you some extra magnification.

If you want to go to $800+ the 8MP cameras (Pro1, A2, 8700) and DSLRs (D70) are nice on paper (reviews are still a little scarce). 300D is popular but it does have it's own set of issues.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras KODAK DX6490 or MINOLTA Z1 ... ?