Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 17-40mm f4 question

Digital Cameras

Canon 17-40mm f4 question

renem24

Canon 17-40mm f4 question

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:37 am

Hi everybody,
i just bought a canon 17-40mm lens and I'm looking for a Uv filter to protect it. Before to buy any kind of filter, can somebody give an ideea what kind of filter I should buy? First of all I want to avoid vigneting and second of all I want to be able to mount the cap after I'm done taking the pictures. With a slim filter I know thet I can avoid vigneting but I'm not sure about mounting the cap back. And what kind af brand would you suggest?
Thank you for your time

ukexpat

Re: Canon 17-40mm f4 question

Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:08 pm

renem24 wrote:Hi everybody,
i just bought a canon 17-40mm lens and I'm looking for a Uv filter to protect it. Before to buy any kind of filter, can somebody give an ideea what kind of filter I should buy? First of all I want to avoid vigneting and second of all I want to be able to mount the cap after I'm done taking the pictures. With a slim filter I know thet I can avoid vigneting but I'm not sure about mounting the cap back. And what kind af brand would you suggest?
Thank you for your time

First of all vignetting will not be a problem if you use this lens on a Canon DSLR that has a 1.6 crop factor -- ie all excepty the 1DS. In any event if you are concerned about this, B+W sells a range of slim filters that are designed to deal with this problem, but they do not have a front thread. See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... 989&is=REG for example. B+W filters are not cheap, but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

renem24

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:29 pm

Thank you

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 17-40mm f4 question