Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D80 or Nikon D200

Digital Cameras

Nikon D80 or Nikon D200

swindonmarius

Nikon D80 or Nikon D200

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:06 pm

hey people i am thinking of buying a third camera i got the Nikon D50 and the F50

which one will be better to buy

Nikon D80
or
Nikon D200
please help me

ericvision

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:33 pm

D200 is a better camera than D80. However, D80 is a great camera and if you can't afford the D200 or if you need to spend some wonga on your lens collection you should get the D80.

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:03 pm

d200 will feel the most "pro" of your lineup - really not much in the image quality, if anything however.

depends on how much you need the more rugged build, and the more detailed control layout. Personally I'd go for a d80 & add to your lenses, as said above...

hope that helps :)

glamourfish

Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:49 pm

To throw a spanner in the works. I'd personally go for the D200. Besides just feeling better than the D80, I like the idea that it takes CF cards as opposed to the SD cards. Also as far as I know - the metering system used in the D200 is much more advanced than the D80. If you have the D50, I think the D80 is too close. Take a decent leap & you'll notice the difference.
One thing I have learnt & experienced over & over is not to go the cheap route purely for the sake of getting more equipment. Sooner or later you're gonna want to get something better anyway!
But that's just my opinion! Depends really how serious you are about photography. If just for holiday snaps....then go for the D80.
Hope that helps! :shock:
----------------------------

mmmmmm....pixeljuice

----------------------------

penlan

Post Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:49 pm

Just to put my bit in...I bought a D80 about a month ago and I am very pleased with it indeed. I think it's also worth mentioning that the lenses you use are also an important factor. There's no point stepping up to a D200 if you're going to use cheap lenses. At the end of the day it all depends on what you want out of the camera. Also ask yourself, for whatever photography you do, do you really need a new camera or do you just fancy something new. If so you might put the extra money to a new lens or something. Just my views :)

swindonmarius

well

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:11 pm

yea thank you all

swindonmarius

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:27 pm

i am pretty serious about photography

i use a normal nikon lens at the moment 18-55mm and a sigma 70-300mm
but i would like to become a great photographer and stuff

portairture and weddings i wanna do :D

jestev

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:03 pm

If I were you I'd invest in some good glass first.

You have to have sharp, fast lenses for weddings (you usually can't use a flash). I'd get a 70-200 VR and/or a faster normal lens (maybe a 17-55) and then consider getting a better body.
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

bruce46

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:03 am

swindonmarius wrote:i am pretty serious about photography

i use a normal nikon lens at the moment 18-55mm and a sigma 70-300mm
but i would like to become a great photographer and stuff

portairture and weddings i wanna do :D

I would say you have to take a closer look at Fuji FinePix S5 Pro. The camera is perfect for portraiture and weddings. And most importantly, it is compatible with Nikor lenses that you may have.

road_runner

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:47 pm

Depends on usage:

Portrait and Wedding work - The Fuji S5 Pro would be the better choice, but it appears to go for $400 (US) over the D-200. Good color and definition, but alittle light on detail.

Wildlife, macro and objects - The D-200 is my choice. The detail and focusing ability is much better. This camera is probably a good choice for microstock photogs too - if they are Nikonians.

The D-200 has less color punch, but that can be addressed using your RAW editing software or Photoshop.

If you only do an occasional wedding for a friend, get the D-200. You can keep the extra $400 in the bank till you save up a few more bobs to get a nice piece of glass.

As for using flash at weddings; I used to do weddings exclusively and always used flas with a defuser. I shot some candeds using natural light, but I definitly used flash for the formals and 80% of reception shots - especially where there was action. I recently shot a wedding for my friend's daughter along with the professional she contracted. The hired photographers used two flash units (one on a stand) with a slave sensor to light up the background and one on camera. That saved them time in Photoshop. I use one light, but take it off camera and hand hold it above and on a 45 degree angle. With the defuser I get the benefit of the bounced light plus the soft direct light. That does a good job but requires a little work in photoshop in some shots. It is easier than dragging around a second light. Of course you could use a friend to hold the second light to light up the background.

Whatever you choose - base it on the type of photography you do most.
Roadrunner

celticbhoy

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:47 pm

glamourfish wrote:To throw a spanner in the works. I'd personally go for the D200. Besides just feeling better than the D80, I like the idea that it takes CF cards as opposed to the SD cards. Also as far as I know - the metering system used in the D200 is much more advanced than the D80. If you have the D50, I think the D80 is too close. Take a decent leap & you'll notice the difference.
One thing I have learnt & experienced over & over is not to go the cheap route purely for the sake of getting more equipment. Sooner or later you're gonna want to get something better anyway!
But that's just my opinion! Depends really how serious you are about photography. If just for holiday snaps....then go for the D80.
Hope that helps! :shock:

While I take your point you point about CF in preference to SD. I feel that the D80 is a little more capable than merely taking "holiday sanps". Afterall is'nt that what compacts are for. I have experience of both the D80 and D200 and see no difference interms of picture quality. Personally, if you don't need to shoot at 5fps, I would get the D80 and spend your money on faster glass....IMHO. 8)
Regards,

Graham
Nikon D200, Nikon 18-200mm AF-S DX VR, Nikon 70-300VR, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 10-20
Nikon SB800 Speedlight
MB-D200
Manfrotto 055PRO & 486RC2
Nikon Capture NX
Photoshop CS3 Extended
Adobe Lightroom
Photomatix Pro

inukshuk94

Post Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:01 pm

I have the D200 and love it, but as some have stated. Good glass is#1

denak

D200

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:24 am

I've got a D50 myself and after looking at thousands of pictures made with the D200 I would say; buy yourself some really good glass and stick with your D50. It's a hell of a camera and is capable to compete with the D200

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikon D80 or Nikon D200