Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 18-200 nikon vr / or not.

Digital Cameras

18-200 nikon vr / or not.

mikelong

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:26 pm

I've been using this lens for over a year and have recently been looking at images shot at the long focal lengths. I'm disappointed because there's a lot of distortion occurring on images shot over 140mm. I'm now shopping for a new lens.
Mike Long Photography

antipeko

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:19 pm

I know little photography, but I am interested on learning. I am planning to buy a D80, and I do not know what to do about the lens. I found appealing the fact that with the VR 18-200 I do not need to change lenses. I have read this lens has lot of distortion, although in http://www.kenrockwell.com/ the author explains how to solve this problem with post-processing. I know I will never get the same result with this lens as with a combination of other lenses, but I do not look right now for prof pictures (hopefully this day will come). Now I am pleased with good, although not exceptional, pictures. Supposing I go for this lens, my questions are then the following:

1- Will I have to post-process all pictures to get a good result? Is the distortion visible when there are not straight lines in the picture (e.g. with people)?
2- A prof photographer will know well what are the limitations of this lens and avoid taking pictures with certain configurations. For example, Ken Rockwell says: "You'll see darkening of the corners at f/5.6 (wide open) at 100 mm and longer. Stop down to f/8 and it's gone". Will it be easy for me, as a newbie, to identify cases I have to avoid?
3- What can I expect for indoor pictures with low light? Would the result would be good with a flash?

In short. A prof will know how to deal with this lens, but would you recommend it for a newbie?

Thanks for your help!

stevemockford

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:10 pm

I recently made the move to digital photography with the combination you are considering: Nikon D80 and 18-200vr. I am very happy with this combination. Prior to purchasing it I read all of the online reviews and the threads on several fora - but the most useful research I did was to look through sites like PBase at pictures that had been taken with the lens and asked myself 'would I be happy with pictures of this quality'? Finding that some amazing captures have been made with the 18-200 I purchased it.
My advice would be: decide what you will use the lens for, look at photos of that genre taken with this lens, and decide for yourself.

Have fun without whatever you decide on,

Steve

rojay

Prime lens numnutz

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:31 am

Two big professional bodies hung with fast prime lenses and I suppose you think you fit in just fine in all social situations where one might concievably want a want a camera.

We are all real impressed with your collection. Just not your opinion or your photos.

ewhalen

Re: Prime lens numnutz

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:36 am

rojay wrote:Two big professional bodies hung with fast prime lenses and I suppose you think you fit in just fine in all social situations where one might concievably want a want a camera.

We are all real impressed with your collection. Just not your opinion or your photos.

Any situation where I think it would be reasonable to take pictures at.

I can take the grip off my 5D and it is no larger than a 40D.

I wouldn't want to go to a wedding with an 18-200 on my camera, that's for sure. Even my 24-105 can be way too slow for weddings.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

garyjcarr

Re: 18-200 nikon vr / or not.

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:33 am

I don't know if you got the lens but it's the only one I own. I shot these with it.
http://www.pbase.com/garyjcarr/garys_gallery
Gary

prinothcat

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:10 pm

ewhalen wrote:
ralf wrote:
ewhalen wrote:All it shows is that people are willing to cripple their SLRs with a junk lens because they are too lazy to change their lens.

Spoken like a true snob.... So tell me, who gets the better image: me with my "junk" zoom or you who misses the opportunity while changing between ultra-quality prime lenses? Both have their place.

I have two zooms, and three cameras....to go along with my primes....so I don't have to do much switching

so you're a gear head and a snob... big deal. Reviews from working pros...
http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm
and how the locals feel about it..
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/18-2 ... _afs_dx_vr

ewhalen

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Ken Rockwell is a joke. He admits his site is silly and he makes a lot of bogus comments. If 200 5.6 is fast enough, you never shoot film or plan to to to FF and dont mind the distortion or sharpness... Go for it.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

jestev

Post Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 pm

ewhalen wrote:Ken Rockwell is a joke. He admits his site is silly and he makes a lot of bogus comments. If 200 5.6 is fast enough, you never shoot film or plan to to to FF and dont mind the distortion or sharpness... Go for it.

Ditto on Ken Rockwell being a joke.

Even from those of us who don't have bajillion dollar equipment, the Nikkor 18-200VR is a lens that can do a lot, but none of it well.

ewhalen is totally right here.
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 18-200 nikon vr / or not.