Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 18-200 nikon vr / or not.

Digital Cameras

18-200 nikon vr / or not.

moelwyn

18-200 nikon vr / or not.

Post Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Hello there just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this,
I have been looking at the nikon 18-200 vr for approx 12months now waiting for the availability and also for the price to drop!! (in the UK)

This has been asked before but is it worth the hype?
I have a sigma 17-70 dc macro and a nikon 55-200 dx and feel I miss pictures and also loose some due to the time it sometimes takes to change from one to the other.

Looking at some reviews etc the opinions are mixed but on sites like Ken Rockwell they seem to think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Would selling my 2 existing lenses and replacing with the vr be worth the bother ?
Thanks
ALAN.

ewhalen

Post Fri May 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Superzooms = poop

Slow
Distortion
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

gilp

Post Fri May 18, 2007 7:11 pm

with a zoom ratio of 11.11... this has to be one crappy lens.

adz929

Post Sat May 19, 2007 9:45 am

Hmmm, I know a few people with this lens and they love it. I agree that super zooms aren't going to give you the same quality as a prime or even a medium zoom, but this lens certainly has a place in todays market. Its very versatile and gives better results than anything else with the same range. The only thing I dislike about this lens is the price. Besides, if current demand is anything to go by, it can't be that bad.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

dang

Post Sat May 19, 2007 11:00 am

You might check to see if it's reviewed here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

ewhalen

Post Sat May 19, 2007 12:08 pm

adz929 wrote:Hmmm, I know a few people with this lens and they love it. I agree that super zooms aren't going to give you the same quality as a prime or even a medium zoom, but this lens certainly has a place in todays market. Its very versatile and gives better results than anything else with the same range. The only thing I dislike about this lens is the price. Besides, if current demand is anything to go by, it can't be that bad.

All it shows is that people are willing to cripple their SLRs with a junk lens because they are too lazy to change their lens.
Canon 5D, EOS 3, 400D w/ 35 MM F/1.4L, 50 MM F1.8 II, 85 MM F1.2 L II, 100 MM F2.8 Macro, 200 MM F2.8 L, 300 MM F4L IS, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L IS

adz929

Post Sun May 20, 2007 1:16 am

ewhalen wrote:
All it shows is that people are willing to cripple their SLRs with a junk lens because they are too lazy to change their lens.

Its still ideal for those who want the speed and image quality of an SLR yet want the flexibility of a superzoom compact. Not everybody who buys an SLR wants to carry a bag full of lenses everywhere they go.
adz929...The protanomolous photographer...

Pixel peepers...bah, humbug!

avrilsearle

Post Tue May 22, 2007 9:51 am

All it shows is that people are willing to cripple their SLRs with a junk lens because they are too lazy to change their lens.[/quote]

http://www.j-roumagnac.net/index.php?x= ... ategory=27

What about these samples-they don't look too bad to me! :o
Worst thing about the lens is the creep!

ralf

Post Tue May 22, 2007 1:34 pm

ewhalen wrote:All it shows is that people are willing to cripple their SLRs with a junk lens because they are too lazy to change their lens.

Spoken like a true snob.... So tell me, who gets the better image: me with my "junk" zoom or you who misses the opportunity while changing between ultra-quality prime lenses? Both have their place.

ewhalen

Post Tue May 22, 2007 6:44 pm

ralf wrote:
ewhalen wrote:All it shows is that people are willing to cripple their SLRs with a junk lens because they are too lazy to change their lens.

Spoken like a true snob.... So tell me, who gets the better image: me with my "junk" zoom or you who misses the opportunity while changing between ultra-quality prime lenses? Both have their place.

I have two zooms, and three cameras....to go along with my primes....so I don't have to do much switching

sbowers

Not trying to pick a fight...

Post Wed May 23, 2007 4:30 pm

ewhalen wrote:
ralf wrote:

I have two zooms, and three cameras....to go along with my primes....so I don't have to do much switching

And that's a lots of stuff to carry around or have slung about your neck! :shock:

It's been said so much it's cliche, "to each his own." If you have gobs of equipment and fancy lugging it around then that's your style. If, on the other hand, you prefer to have a superzoom on your SLR to "save from swapping lenses" that, too, is your prerogative.

Is it a fact that superzooms are crappy? Depends on who you ask and there lies the problem with subjective questions like "what's better" or "is this thing worth it" or "Nikon vs. Canon". We each have our own needs and requirements. Me personally, I don't mind carrying three lenses with my one camera. I'll change if necessary. (I worry more about dust and debris getting on my sensor.)

Goodness, it's even a question of cost. If one person can afford a mega-bucks ultra-prime 20lbs glass then, hey, go write that check. I buy the best glass I can afford to do the captures I want. (Personally, I'm in the market for a Nikkor zoom with VR...)

And for that, it's a cheap shot to call someone's equipment "junk". True, a particular lens may not be "top quality", but damn if I'm going to pay $6K for one that is. My wife would kill me. :(

Now, let's take some pictures!

Cheers,
Sean

andrzejmakal

Post Wed May 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi
Not so bad, fast enough, very versatile, VR!!!. For wide angle I prefere my Sigma 10-20, I use also 50/1.8 (best optic) but I if you are non-prof, it`s really good stuff. Don't mind about creeping, it's rather common. I use it for 6 month and it does really great job. Tons of nice photos. Changing lenses is always a problem, don't tell me that many lenses, or carrying another body is "cool". Borrow one somehow, and you will see. Don't listen people, that didn't try it. Wonna some examples nonprocessed? Write me PM.
regards

take a look:

http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm

http://www.digitaldingus.com/forums/vie ... php?t=3033

Maki

ewhalen

Post Wed May 23, 2007 10:33 pm

andrzejmakal wrote:Hi
Not so bad, fast enough, very versatile, VR!!!. For wide angle I prefere my Sigma 10-20, I use also 50/1.8 (best optic) but I if you are non-prof, it`s really good stuff. Don't mind about creeping, it's rather common. I use it for 6 month and it does really great job. Tons of nice photos. Changing lenses is always a problem, don't tell me that many lenses, or carrying another body is "cool". Borrow one somehow, and you will see. Don't listen people, that didn't try it. Wonna some examples nonprocessed? Write me PM.
regards

take a look:

http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm

http://www.digitaldingus.com/forums/vie ... php?t=3033

Maki

5.6 is not fast at all. I often find F4 too slow, with flash, indoors.

andrzejmakal

Post Thu May 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Ok, so show me better hiperzoom with VR in such price.

Some people likes zooms, even if they are worse than the primes.

Regards

Maki

ewhalen

Post Thu May 24, 2007 4:55 pm

andrzejmakal wrote:Ok, so show me better hiperzoom with VR in such price.

Some people likes zooms, even if they are worse than the primes.

Regards

Maki

I'd rather use two or three F2.8 zooms than 1 that goes from slow to slower.

Next

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 18-200 nikon vr / or not.