Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Webcam solution?

Digital Cameras

Webcam solution?

elfminster

Webcam solution?

Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:45 am

Hi,

I want to setup a web cam to stream live video to a Shoutcast server. I currently use a Creative Labs PC-CAM 300 and relay the stream to a dedicated server and broadcast @ 500Kbps to 32 people max.

Picture quality from the Creative Labs webcam is crappy.

So what I am trying to figure out is, how can I get a better looking live stream from the source?

Digital Camera with USB
I figured I could do what I am doing now, USB streaming, but buy a better camera. I am currently using the Creative Labs PC-CAM 300. Would buying a better digital camera improve the stream or is there a limitation to USB streaming?

I recently saw a 5.0MP digital camera that has USB and Video out with a PC Cam mode.

http://www.orite.com.tw/VC3240/vc3240.htm

How would say a Logitech 4000 Pro compare to such a camera?

Camcorder with USB Streaming
Same as above but with a camcorder.

Camcorder with Firewire/iLink Streaming
Not sure about this, can live video be streamed through a Firewire connection? What program would I use, Helix producer?

Camcorder with Video Out
Plug camcorder into a device on my PC that has video in.

Any help would be appreciated.

djwixx

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:18 am

Sorry I don't know much about this kind of thing.

With regard to the camera you saw I would immediately say the down side is 18 frames per minute, where a quality stream should probably be at 25 fps. Personally I have a Logitech (can't remember the model, but it was he more expensive one a few months ago), and can't complain. I only use it for video conferencing, so I don't expect much quality, but it does the job.

How you connect the camera should be irrelevant, there isn't much difference between firewire and USB2. With video the PC performance has a potential to a major drawback. Most of todays basic PCs should do the job however.

How does a straight record from the webcam to local disk look versus the network stream? I'm guessing but I suspect the network streaming may be the issue.

Just my 2 cents worth.

djwixx

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:24 am

P.S. I should have stated my Logitech direct video to disk produced very good results, and some of the functionality is excellent.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Webcam solution?