Board index Equipment Digital Cameras no usb please read need help

Digital Cameras

no usb please read need help

ajsmommy630

no usb please read need help

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:03 pm

Okay, here is the deal. My computer is a POS (lol) and has no USB port for a digi cam, but I really really want a digi camera. I have ran across the ones they sell at Wally World for like $200 with the printer and camera in one package, and the camera plugs into the printer (you have the option to not even have a computer to use this).
So, my question for all you smart people is "If I do not have a USB port, but still have the printer that comes in the package hooked up, can I still get my pictures off my digital camera onto my computer via printer?"
BTW, if it helps any I am thinking about getting the HP printer/camera package. TIA!!

bobtrips

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:06 pm

A couple of ideas...

First, someone makes either serial or parallel (I forget which) card readers. One of those would allow you to read your shots directly into the computer.

Second, and probably even better, is that it's inexpensive and easy to stick a USB card into many/most PCs. Didn't notice where you're from. If it's the US then look on http://www.newegg.com. I put one in my old PC as I had only USB 1.0 and wanted the extra speed of 2.0.

bobtrips

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:08 pm

BTW, unless you really need a printer, I'd consider spending the money on just a camera. Get something decent such as the Canon A70 for a little over $200. Get the prints that you want made by Wally.

jseah

Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:51 pm

a card that has USB ports that can be plugged into an empty PCI slot in your computer motherboard will run you around $10-$20.

gillettecraig

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:20 am

You probably don't want to read this, maybe even have heard or read it before. You really need a new computer.

I'd guess that if you don't have usb built onto your motherboard, it's old enough that you are also running an older operating system. Now your system may have usb pin outs on the mother board and all you need is the adapter to connect to the motherboard and add usb ports to an empty position on the rear of the case. That was the situation with my previous machine. But it required upgrading to a later OS as well. You need to be running at least Windows 98 SR 2 (service release/service pack 2). But you may not be that lucky. There are serial and parallel port readers/adapters. There are even adapters which fit a card to a floppy disk shaped device and allow them to be read through a floppy drive if you don't have free ports. I have no idea how well that actually works. I'd expect any of these readers to be dreadfully slow.

Then hand in hand with the old os, you'll have an older graphics card, old and/or too little memory, slow processor, etc. Likely a small hard drive and no CD-R/CD-rw burner to transfer pictures too. So while you may well be able to get pictures to it, you probably won't be happy with it.

You may find the stand-alone printer (or local printer at Wally world, etc.) works for you, you may also find that you have an interest in getting more from your shots than you can get with a direct print.

rha600

USB card

Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:29 pm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... d=cat01078

that is a link to a 5 port USB2 card. they also have a 2 port (just 2 connectors instead of 5) for $10 less.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras no usb please read need help