Board index Equipment Digital Cameras infra red and digital cameras

Digital Cameras

infra red and digital cameras

mpdequalsyfsm

infra red and digital cameras

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:13 pm

This question was asked by Shaun in the Show and Tells section.
“While we're on the subject of Ir shots... Has anyone done or know of anyone doing Ir work with the 10d or 300d? I see that JR is using a D100 which seems to do just fine with Ir work, what about Canon's DSLR's?
Or any of the other DSLR's for that matter.... “

I am new to the Rebel 300D and I don’t know anything about infra red,other than I really like the look, and I thought Shaun’s initial question was a good start.

Thank you.

Link the the thread in Show and Tell:
http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p=13545#13545

castledude

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:08 pm

Try an empirical test. Go to a dark room with the infrared remote control from your TV or stereo. Set the exposure to 1 second (no flash) and push the button on the remote at the same time as you fire the shutter. If the focal plane on the Rebel is sensative to IR then you will see it in the picture.

If it works you can then buy a good filter (warning about $100-$200) or play with some of the cheaper "poor man" alternatives (layers of film, old floppy disks, etc).

ultraweaver

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:08 pm

[quote="castledude"]Try an empirical test. Go to a dark room with the infrared remote control from your TV or stereo. Set the exposure to 1 second (no flash) and push the button on the remote at the same time as you fire the shutter. If the focal plane on the Rebel is sensative to IR then you will see it in the picture.
quote]

Thanks for the posts.

I tried this on the DRebel. I pointed the remotes IR emitter and the IR came out to be a circular fuzzy circle in my snapshot. So if I performed the test right I assume that the DRebel is sensitive enough and all that is needed is a filter?

BTW- when I first did the test I assumed I did not need to point the remote IR emitter at the camera lens. So no traces of IR were seen on my fist test. But only by pointing the IR emitter at the lens would it show up.

mpdequalsyfsm

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:25 am

Thank you castledude for your response.

Thank you Joey for doing the test - I cheched your galleries and see you are using the 300D (same as me) .

ultraweaver

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:20 am

mpdequalsyfsm wrote:Thank you castledude for your response.

Thank you Joey for doing the test - I cheched your galleries and see you are using the 300D (same as me) .

No problem. I was curious too. I saw the link you posted in the "Show and tell" thread. Looks like I may have to get an IR filter. ; ) Very nice shots posted on that thread.

Castledude, Would you mind shedding some more light on the poor mans option? Not sure what you mean by floppy disk/film. I would love to give that option a go.

castledude

Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:06 am

"Poor mans filter" is made by taking two layers of fully exposed and developed film and then shooting through them. Because of the size of lense you will probably need to use 4x5 film for this, try your local developer to see if they have scraps or if you have a friend with a camera like that.

If you can find a real antique 8" floppy then the media (cut it out of the jacket) on some of the disks is transparent to IR. 5 1/4" works also but it will probably not cover most lenses.

Next on the list are the Hoya R72 (Wratten 89b) filters unfortunately these run about $80 or you can give up some wide angle and use a smaller filter with a stepping ring (about $40 for the combo).

Remember you will need to do some trial and error on the exposure times since your onboard metering may not work.

bigbad

Post Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:25 pm

Canon's DSLR's do work for infrared. We shoot with a 10D. haven't done much with IR aside from just messing around and I have yet to put enough effort into figuring out precise focusing. but it will certainly work. it is maybe not the best camera for it, but since we don't shoot primarily IR, its enough for us.

http://www.pbase.com/bigbad/infrared

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras infra red and digital cameras