Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon EOS 300D & EOS 10D durability

Digital Cameras

Canon EOS 300D & EOS 10D durability

snappingturtle

Canon EOS 300D & EOS 10D durability

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:15 pm

Hi,

Through reviews and descriptions, the Canon 10D is more durable than the 300D Digital rebel. But my photo advisor told me that in the long run, niether camera is more survivable than the other. Now I am not good at physics, but his remarks got me curious. Here is what he says:

Digital rebel: If the camera recieves a shocking blow, the plastic body will shatter, absorbing the concussion. This results in the body ruined and the camera out of service, although the internal parts may survive.

EOS 10D : When given a blow, the magnesium alloy body resists the damage, reducing the chances of a breakage however, when it resists the shock, the concussion would attack the interior of the camera, damaging vital components such as the chip.

In his conclusion, there is a trade of with plastic and magnesium alloy and niether the Rebel or the 10D should be considered more durable than the other.

In my conclusion no matter what camera you have, if you have shaky hands or have a high record of clumsy breakage, you should not handle some $1000 + precision instrument.

What do you fellow photographers think?

Hugh
Last edited by snappingturtle on Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shecodes

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:18 pm

I think I have an extended warrenty on my Canon DR and my good lenses, so I don't worry about it. I'd be more worried about the memory card malfunctioning.

bobtrips

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:42 pm

In some circumstances plastic is a more desirable material than is metal. Your reasoning may be correct, plastic might absorb more energy than would metal. The plastic case may break, metal may deform thus transferring the force on to the camera's innards.

But, that aside, I'd probably buy the plastic cased camera for $500 less than the metal cased camera if the plastic cased camera gave me the functions that I wanted.

That saved $500 will be almost enough to purchase the next version of the 300d/D70 that will have even more features than the current 10D/D100.

And, if I were really clumsy, I'd get insurance and work at being more aware.

wilfredmrand

No problem.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:36 am

The pejorative identification of 'plastic' with the 300D or the soon to be released D70 isn't a fair representation. Polycarbonate isn't plastic as you normally know the term - polycarb is a different beast and will bend instead of breaking. (I dropped my 300D today, and it bounced! To satisfy my curiosity, I dropped my Nikon F2 from the same 32-in height, and it left a dent in the wood floor. Hmmm.) Not saying it's perfect, but bulletproof glass and fighter jet wings are made of polycarb. I don't think either camera, which have metal frames underneath by the way, will survive the jostle of professional PJ work, but I wouldn't describe polycarb-clad cameras as fragile either. They'll last a good long while with less-than-meticulous care. And at some point, you'll see the pro cameras made with polycarb, too.

kunja

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:35 pm

The D Rebel is sturdier than you would think. I'm careful with it, but then again I was always careful with my old Nikon FA, which is a tank. Can't speak for the 10D or the plastic versus metal theory, but the D Rebel seems solid enough to me.

The kit lens is another matter.

ukexpat

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:35 pm

kunja wrote:The D Rebel is sturdier than you would think. I'm careful with it, but then again I was always careful with my old Nikon FA, which is a tank. Can't speak for the 10D or the plastic versus metal theory, but the D Rebel seems solid enough to me.

The kit lens is another matter.

The 10D is plenty solid for most people. I would not go into a war zone with it but it will serve for most purposes as far as durbility is concerned...

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon EOS 300D & EOS 10D durability