Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Destroying an image (IMHO)

Digital Cameras

Destroying an image (IMHO)

gpaai

Destroying an image (IMHO)

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:32 pm

I'm curious... I see a lot of THIS on PBase. Is this really necessary to secure your image? It seems that a disclaimer below the photo would be enough. Personally, I believe it really takes away from image.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

castledude

Post Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:34 pm

For me a disclaimer is enough along with a watermark to remind the person just in case they download it and forget where it came from. Anything that I want to charge for I don't put on the web (samples only).

For others they are very protective and unfortunately some people have been burned here by thieves that have stolen whole galleries and put them on other web sites. It can be very difficult to yell at somebody when you don't speak Cantonese.

With music you have to go to some steps to make an MP3 rip and this gets stolen all the time. Stealing pictures is even easier.

For what can happen look at this site: http://www.lvstriphistory.com/ and see how frustrated it can make somebody.

gpaai

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:09 am

I can understand the frustration. It's sad that things are the way that they are.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

bobtrips

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:15 am

Worried about the money? Don't post anything larger than 800 pixels on the long dimension. At a decent dpi (225) a 600x800 file will print at 2.6"x3.6". Hardly going to be a big seller in a prestigious gallery.

Worry about your ego? Get over it. So people copy your images and pass them off as their own. Where's the damage?

Want to mark your photos but don't want to deface them? Add a small 'frame' at the bottom of the image and put your name/copyright statement there. When/if someone downloads the image the text goes with it.

(Make it the same color as your gallery background and use a non-garish text color, small font.)

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Destroying an image (IMHO)