Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Is this typical of a Canon EOS 10D?

Digital Cameras

Is this typical of a Canon EOS 10D?

wsolum

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:29 pm

I have the cheapo 50mm 1.8 that has been recommended on photo.net because it's decent and the price is right. Bought it originally to test my 10D but the difference it made on my Elan 7/e was stunning. I don't regret that one. Would the 28-105mm 3.5/4.5 USM been a better choice? I had it ordered at first then called to switch to the 24-85. It would have saved me $109.

I'll start planning for some L series lenses. My strategy had been to get three good zooms to cover the low, med and end ranges, then fill in with primes for the lengths I find myself using most often. The 70-200 4.0L USM was on my list. Is it too slow?

On another note, do you know if the RAW handling capabilities of Photoshop CS are equivalent to Capture 1?

stanmore

Post Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:00 pm

I have the cheapo 50mm 1.8 that has been recommended on photo.net because it's decent and the price is right. Bought it originally to test my 10D but the difference it made on my Elan 7/e was stunning. I don't regret that one. Would the 28-105mm 3.5/4.5 USM been a better choice? I had it ordered at first then called to switch to the 24-85. It would have saved me $109.

I'll start planning for some L series lenses. My strategy had been to get three good zooms to cover the low, med and end ranges, then fill in with primes for the lengths I find myself using most often. The 70-200 4.0L USM was on my list. Is it too slow?

On another note, do you know if the RAW handling capabilities of Photoshop CS are equivalent to Capture 1?

The 50mm f/1.8 is just as sharp as the f/1.4. The real difference between these two is the bokeh - the f/1.8 is harsh, the f/1.4's like butter. Even so the f/1.8 is the bargain of bargains in the Canon lens line-up. I've not use the 28-105 ... I ihave have had probably half-a-dozen similarly priced mid-ranged zooms and all perform fairly on-par with the 24-85.
The 70-200 f/4 L is supposed to br a top-notch performer. A photographer I know has some great wildlife shot printed at about 18x12 with this lens - they're damn good for a zoom. Still not up to prime quality though.
CS & C1: C1's workflow is the thing. Unless you regularly work in controlled lighting and with similar subjects (fashion studio for example) then it's a whole lot quicker to use. In terms of absolute quality both can match each other. In terms of speed and ease-of-use C1 is a clear leader ... just be sure to learn all the shortcuts and get Magne'd profiles.

davidstg

D10 autofocus issues

Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:48 am

Wayne,
I have been seeing alot of chatter on this issue for this model.
I found this page last night which may help you understand what other users are going through also.

http://www.stereografx.com/review/focus.htm
(cut and past this in your browser.)

I am currently looking at the EOSD10 and the Nikon D100.
I love the images of the Canon,but I have seen alot on the web of this auto focus problem.

Sincerely,
David[/url]

rbaumgartner

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:53 pm

hi !

well i guess i had the same problem as you. i also own a 10D. pictures never looked "sharp" or "focused".

i tried several lenses from canon, sigma and tamron. only some pictures showed good sharpness.

so i went to a canon service center. i explained my problem and they offered to check and re-focus the CCD ( with a standard 50mm/1.4 canon fixed lense, this is the default-lense ) if necessary. for free as my camera is still under warranty! they also mentioned that they can focus the camera to any other lense that i own. if i want.

now all pictures are sharp and clear. with all kind of lenses.
so give it a try. especially if your camera is still under warranty !

so long

robert

ukexpat

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:57 pm

rbaumgartner wrote:hi !

well i guess i had the same problem as you. i also own a 10D. pictures never looked "sharp" or "focused".

i tried several lenses from canon, sigma and tamron. only some pictures showed good sharpness.

so i went to a canon service center. i explained my problem and they offered to check and re-focus the CCD ( with a standard 50mm/1.4 canon fixed lense, this is the default-lense ) if necessary. for free as my camera is still under warranty! they also mentioned that they can focus the camera to any other lense that i own. if i want.

now all pictures are sharp and clear. with all kind of lenses.
so give it a try. especially if your camera is still under warranty !

so long

robert

Actually the 10D does not have a CCD sensor, it has a CMOS sensor...

ukexpat

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:00 pm

wsolum wrote:phoenikz:

Thanks for your help. I have eliminated one MAJOR source of the problem -- the Tiffen filters.

See the 100% crops in this gallery: http://www.pbase.com/wsolum/filteristheculprit, some with, some without filters. As you can see, the ones with filters are muddy. Are Tiffen filters just crap? Of the pictures without filters, do these represent typical 10D capability?

Thanks

With filters as with most optical products, you pretty much get what you pay for. Cheap filters in front of a good quality lens = cheap looking results. I suggest getting the best quality filters you can afford, B+W are my particular favourites.

rbaumgartner

Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:29 pm

hi !

well. i found an official statement about my mentioned problem. stated by canon germany. but this one is in german only. sorry. here the link: http://www.digitalkamera.de/Info/News/17/58.htm .

my suggesttion would be that you let your camera check by canon.
maybe it improves your picture quality. hard to say. but if they do not
charge anything for the test .... it´s worth a try. if you do not need your camera for some days.

so long

robert

ps: you can try and "translate" the page via http://babelfish.altavista.com . give it a try with"german to english". looks quite good.

kevintat

I have no focus problems at all!!!

Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:55 pm

I may happened to be the lucky one I guess, it's more than a year shooting the 10D, I am very happy every time I pick it up.

All shots were made with Canon lenses:
http://www.pbase.com/kevintat/backyard

Previous

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Is this typical of a Canon EOS 10D?