Board index Equipment Digital Cameras National Geographic tries digital photography

Digital Cameras

National Geographic tries digital photography

srijith

National Geographic tries digital photography

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:25 am

ncrick

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:02 pm

Cool article! Having had the opportunity to work with National Geo. On the Reproduction side (Printing) I can tell you that it is very hard to find a group of people more concerned with quality. As most of their Magazine is printed in the Rotogravure process, the image quality reproduced to a better standard than in most other high volume processes. It will be interesting to see the outcome and also to see how much more digital photography makes it into their pages.

bobtrips

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:14 pm

NG ran an article several months ago that was shot all digital. The recent cover story was the first intentional digital front cover feature.

Rob Galbraith posted an interesting article on 'the shooting of the feature' on his site. It gives a lot of the details about how the job was done, what sorts of difficulties that the move from film to digital presented.

One thing that surprised me was that the photographer took less shots with digital than he typically did with film.

That's just the opposite of my experience having switched from film to digital. Of course I used to have to pay for my film.

You might want to see if the article is still on line - http://www.robgalbraith.com.

As an aside, NG isn't a physically large magazine. One could easily shoot for them with a 6 meg dSLR.

ugot2bkdng

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:38 pm

Bob,

Perhaps he shoots less digital because he can look at the results at the location and reshoot if need be. With film it is make sure you got it on film baby. No goin' back. Well, not usually anyway. :D
Chuck

bobtrips

Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:15 pm

Well, that is why he shot less with digital. I just found it interesting that he didn't shoot more digital.

But we tend to look at things through our own experiences and circumstances. I had to pay for my film and developing. I didn't have assistants to reload my cameras for me....

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras National Geographic tries digital photography