Board index Equipment Digital Cameras best setting for group pictures + blur??

Digital Cameras

best setting for group pictures + blur??

nhoule

best setting for group pictures + blur??

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:48 pm

HI!

During Christmas I did many group indoor pictures and I was disappointed with the results
I have a FinePix S602 Zoom (bought on Sept 02) and it seems that the autofocus is not as sharp as when I bought the camera.

Could you tell me what setting is best when taking inside group picture (like 6 people in a row)?
photometry (average, spot, multi)
ISO (160, 200 or 400)
sharpness (soft, regular and hard)
Auto setting or P
Is that possible that the autofocus becomes less good with time? Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you!
Nancy - who's thinking about changing camera..

bobtrips

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:36 pm

Let's start with the obvious. Just about everything breaks....

Is your camera broken? Can't tell from here. Go shoot a lot of stuff and compare those shots with shots that you took when the camera was new.

Now, shooting a group. First you would want to close the aperture down as much as possible for maximum DOF (depth of field). Use the largest "f-stop" number. I can't tell you how to do that on your camera. Take a look in the manual.

Then use either 'multi' focus so that the camera finds the best average focus spot or use 'spot' focus and focus on a spot in about the middle of the group. If you lined up five people front to back, focus on the middle person. Focus will drop off both as you get closer and further from that point.

With a small sensor camera such as the S602 I'd try to shoot in the lowest ISO setting as much as possible. Higher ISO settings are 'noisier' - have more digital noise, more little colored dots in the solid color areas.

I'd also shoot in 'soft' or 'regular' unless you take your memory cards directly to the printer. It's best to do any required/desired editing to your shot and then sharpen it. Most professional cameras produce very unsharp images. Sharpening is the last step before printing or posting.

Now. do you have an example on the web so that we could take a look and make some guesses? Make sure you have included the EXIF information or at least the shutter speed and aperture setting.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras best setting for group pictures + blur??