Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Any users of Nikon 5400...thinking of buying one

Digital Cameras

Any users of Nikon 5400...thinking of buying one

calemene

Any users of Nikon 5400...thinking of buying one

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:13 pm

Just wondering if anyone uses a Nikon 5400 Prosumer camera, at present I'm still using film SLR's (Canon A1 & T90 with a good selection of Canon lenses). I tend to use slow films, Kodachrome 25 or 64 or Fuji sensia 100) and love the results. I can't afford a digital SLR, yet would like to try a digital camera and this Nikon seems to be about the best for my money...ie under £500 uk pounds. My main needs are for decent macro and landscape ....image quality is formost for me and have read all the reviews that I can find but am still unsure that this is the best choice to try.....any thoughts please. I need to be able to control DOF especially in macro....and of course for landscapes.....any replies gratefully recieved
many thanks
Cal

Thanks for the replies both of you, sorry I was absent for so long, busy time of the year for me plus harware probs with computer, sorted now....and just ordered a 5400, will post some piccies once I've had a chance to try it out...price in UK now £ 399 !!!
Last edited by calemene on Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickaubrey

It's going to be my choice

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:25 am

I'm in the same position of looking seriously at the Nikon 5400. I've done some pretty substantial research which leads me to conclude it's a good buy for me.

The PROs are:
small size, easy to handle and use
just the right combination of zoom range and resolution for 'typical' usage
excellent AE and colours
plenty of nice features such as BSS
ISO 50 setting

The CONs are:
I feel at some stage I might want more than the zoom can offer - not really a problem because of the availability of the teleconvertor
Slightly less sharp images compared to some competitors - one review I read said this could be avoided by setting the camera's sharpening mode to something higher than 'normal'. I've looked at a lot of images from the 5400 and I'm happy with the sharpness most of the time. Nikon's image processing seems to be just a little softer than some in terms of 'normal' sharpness.
Firmware update due Spring 2004 - what this will contain is unknown expect that it's expected to introduce support for RAW format.
Optical viewfinder doesn't cover whole image - just have to use the LCD for framing or learn to compensate - also, the optical finder uses less power so maybe that's the compensation.
Low-light focus: almost all the reviews comment on poor focusing performance in low light. I'm encouraged to have read that this can, to some extent, be overcome by selecting one of the alternative AF modes (and perhaps there are other practical 'tricks' too in order to get good results). I guess I will have to rely on manual focus some of the time.

WISH LIST
I'd like a faster lens across the zoom range because I'm keen on available light portraits. The f4.1 is just a bit limiting. However, if I had to choose between a faster lens and a lighter lens then I'd compromise in favour of light weight and small size, just as Nikon have done.

All in all, I've concluded this is the camera for me and plan to purchase one in a week or two. I was particularly encouraged by http://www.digitalsecrets.net. It's worth reading I think and there are some great shots at http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/Travel2003.html

Hope that's helpful.

slugo

I just picked up a 5400 this week >>

Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:58 am

I also own a Coolpix 995 and a Coolpix 2500 for travel. The 5400 is a wonderful prosumer digital. The lens and the pics are magnificant! Got it from Beach Camera for $574...

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Any users of Nikon 5400...thinking of buying one