Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Generic Batteries

Digital Cameras

Generic Batteries

gpaai

Generic Batteries

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:00 pm

You see them on Ebay all of the time. They sell from between $00.01 + $8.95 S&H to $10.00 plus S&H.

Has anyone ever bought and used generic batteries? Do they hold charges? Do you think they can do damage to a camera? Or are they as good as they say?

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

slurve30

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:27 pm

I've been buying the generics. They are awesome. I've used them in 20D's, 1D's, and 1DMkII's. The generics for the 20D's are about the same as the ones you'd get from Canon, but the ones for the 1D series cameras seem to hold charge FOREVER!

ericvision

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:17 pm

I bought a generic battery for my EOS D30. It lasts much longer than the original Canon one...

dang

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:06 pm

I've also had great results with generic batteries, and have no problem suggesting their use.

dougj

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:06 pm

I've had very good results from generic batteries for several years. I've purchased these from different camera shops, haven't tried ebay yet. I'll continue to buy the generics.

gpaai

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:18 pm

Well I might be placing this under the heading "If it's too good to be true" within the next couple of weeks but I bought two batteries for $18.00 (S&H included) off Ebay. The seller has a good feedback reputation with over 31,000 to date. I guess it's a wait and see situation now.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

sandpiper

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:13 am

When I bought my 20D I wanted to buy a couple of spare batteries, the canon ones were £50 each. I looked on ebay and found someone selling 5 generics for £45, so less than just ONE Canon battery. I've used them for the last year and they perform brilliantly, lasting just as long (if not longer as they are 1500mah compared to the Canon's own 1390mah) on a charge.

Just watch out for fakes that pretend to be Canon branded as they ARE poor quality and can damage the camera. They have Canon printed on them (which is a little blurry), check the Canon site for details.

Otherwise, non-branded compatibles are fine, in my experience.

darryn_wong

Re: Generic Batteries

Post Fri May 30, 2008 10:06 pm

What is the status of generic batteries now 2 years later? Do you still recommend them or have explosions/fires meant you only buy oem now?

Does anyone have any clue for these mob? http://www.global-batteries.com.au/about_us.php They seem to be a global alliance of battery sellers and they have battery testing unit.

dougj

Post Fri May 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I've used generics for the past 5 years in Canon 10D & 30D cameras without problems. I haven't done much in terms of benchmarking, the limited testing I did early on indicated the generics performed about the same as the OEMs. I purchased the generics from local camera shops, and saved about 50% compared to the OEMs. Sterlingtek is a global brand that is occasionally mentioned on other forums as a good quality, lower cost supplier, I haven't tried them.

I avoid buying the cheapest of anything, especially batteries, and would not buy the cheapest batteries from an ebay seller, as it's too risky.

sheila

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 pm

I agree with others. I stopped buying Canon batteries years ago as they are a complete ripoff. I have just bought three on Australian eBay for $12.50 each. Canon is advertising them at $126.00 each! And in all probability they are made by the same manufacturer.

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

leejungil

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 pm

I tried and did not like a generic. Was ot even close to holding and maintaining a charge like a Canon Factory Unit..! Good Luck

The BulbMogul

john_cooper

Post Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 am

I always use generic batteries. I refuse to pay Canons ridiculous high prices for their batteries and accessories.
Never had a problem with these batteries.
One BP-511 substitute has been charged twice a day for over a year, still working fine.
I use the money saved (lots of it) to buy new lens.
Ironically the money I save by not buying Canon battieries enables me to buy Canon lens instead of other brands with a Canon fit.

coffeeaddiction

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:47 am

For Nikon and Sanyo brand, I'll recommend the original batteries
I have Nikon D50 and Sanyo VPC-CA6. Both of these original batteries (EN-EL3 and DB-L20) are available at low price. Also, I notice that the batteries are more stable comparing to the aftermarket one.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Generic Batteries