Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 35-135 IS vs 24-70L USM Lens

Digital Cameras

Canon 35-135 IS vs 24-70L USM Lens

tabbtob

Canon 35-135 IS vs 24-70L USM Lens

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:11 pm

:?: I am going from medium format to digital Canon D10 and would like to know which lens should I go with for primarily wedding photography. I know the L lens is great but does the IS feature on the 35-135 compensate. Also worried about the speed of the lens. I will probably get the 70-200L IS and the 1Ds Canon in the spring. Any opinions?? Thanks

decloedt

28-135 vs. 24-70L

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:16 am

The IS will compensate for the aperture, but not for the picture quality. The 28-135 is a great lens, but it's quality isn't quite on par with Canon's L series lenses. If you are shooting weddings professionally, I'd recommend going with the 24-70.

ray645

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:04 am

I dont believe the IS "image stabilizer" feature will compensate in any way for for aperture, it will let you shot at slower speeds (only about 2 stops) but it will not let more or less light hit the sensor or film ,if you are shooting weddings for a living a nice srobe/flash system is the first thing I would think you need, second a fast lens (85 1.8 for film and D1s as there is no crop to factor in)

Not to be rude, but I am a little suprised you could actually contemplate the purchase of a $10000+ system without knowing all the details

What medium format system where you using? I ask because the pull of faster delivery/turn around time is starting to get me, and I would like to know how the switch is going smooth for you

I do not think changing my in my trusty F100 for the next D1X will be that tuff, but I will still be using the MF in the studio and for posed shots for the next year or so, but Im sure in near future the price of a digital back or SLR that can make a good 11x14 will come down to a more comfortable leval (its $2000-3000 for me)

Good luck
Ray

bobtrips

Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:05 pm

I'd take this question to a couple of places on http://www.dpreview.com - both the Pro forum to see how people are shooting weddings with 6 meg cameras and the Canon 10D forum to ask specific lens questions.

If you need to shoot groups of people and print those images large you may have to work to produce a quality product with a 6 meg camera. If the need is rare then you can shoot multiple frames and stitch together.

Six meg files will make great large prints if fine detail isn't important, and with portraits fine detail generally isn't wanted. (Who wants blow-ups of skin pores?)

I've been shooting an IS camera for the last few years and suspect that you will get more value from that feature than you would from a super sharp lens.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 35-135 IS vs 24-70L USM Lens