Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dishonest Online Store - Bestpricecameras.com

Digital Cameras

Dishonest Online Store - Bestpricecameras.com

edwindjb

BestPriceCameras.com - beware!

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:59 pm

Sorry, for the uninitiated, take the trailing period off the link in my last post. Here it is without.

Scam artists. Review the Better Business Bureau complaints at http://tinyurl.com/y2hyjc

paperpaperpaper

BESTPRICECAMERAS.COM IS A SCAM

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:27 pm

We should all write letters to our major news affiliates, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, and persuade them to do an investigative expose on bestpricecameras.com (they operate under multiple names) and other online crooks in such news-shows like 20/20 or Dateline. I've read the reviews about bestpricecameras.com from a number of public forums as well as the complaints filed to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) --- and all this would make such a compelling, informative, and cautionary TV-documentary about bestpricecameras.com in particular and the digital camera gray-market in general.

I too share a similar experience with bestpricecameras.com. I made an online purchase for a Canon Rebel Xt for $449. I called to confirm my order and they said I would have to pay an additional $149 for batteries. I said that Canon should have already have a battery in the manufacture box, but they said that it doesn't. I said I needed more time to think about it and to cancel my order and the guy hung up. Feeling uneasy about the phone call, I googled "bestpricecameras.com" (which, I know, I should've done earlier) and found hundreds of stories about how people were receiving the wrong items, paying more than they agreed to pay, inferior parts, wrong warranties, opened boxes, unitemized invoices, extremely rude, offensive customer service, and, worst of all, unapproved credit card charges after they get your credit card information! Although I told them to cancel my order, I knew I couldn't trust them, and so after reading other people's accounts, I decided it would be best to cancel my credit card to avoid them from making unapproved transactions (one person said that his card was charged for a Barcelona plane ticket!). It's been such an inconvenience but I'm glad I was able to cancel in time before they made charges: 7 days without a card is better than months and months of headaches from dealing with these rude, unethical people.

Such stories and complaints about bestpricecameras.com have been CONSISTENTLY posted online since 2005, with frequent reports to the Better Business Bureau and the NY General Attorney. I have no idea how they still continue to do business.

To shed light on the dishonest scam practices of bestpricecameras.com WE SHOULD ALL WRITE TO OUR LOCAL AND NATIONAL NEWS syndicates to tell them about this store and their unethical selling practices. If the BBB and NYC aren't going to shut this place down, we can at least have reporters broadcast our frustrations and their illegal practices to a wider audience. I wait for the day I tune in for nightly news and see these people exposed for their criminal acts.

stepaero2000

BestPriceCameras is the WorstPlaceToBuyACamera!

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:04 pm

I placed an order online after finding a Nikon lens at the lowest price through Best Price Cameras. I submitted the order and figured I would have the lens in a week. 7 days later, no lens. So I called the customer service number where they told me I had to call in to confirm the purchase (what's the point of having online shopping if you have to call?). I was then transferred to an aggressive sales person who told me the lens I was purchasing was plastic and I should upgrade to the steel lens. After some questions, I agreed to the upgrade at $200 more.

Another week passed and no lens. Got a call from customer service saying my card declined. I used a pre-set card because I am skeptical of these discount online companies. Sure enough, they were trying to charge me more than what I agreed by almost $150 so the card declined. When I told them I wanted out of the deal, they put me on hold for more than half an hour. The guy that put me on hold came back after half an hour and then put me right back on hold. All of a sudden, nobody to speak to. I'm currently on hold and doing research on the company. NO BBB affiliation for obvious reasons. Tons of complaints like mine but not on ShopCartUSA. Funny how all the reviews give this company 3 or higher. I wonder if they will post my 1.

The whole process with this company has been terrible. They have a lousy Better Business Bureau rating for a reason. You get what you pay for. I'll stick to the reliable guys. Thanks for nothing!

leejungil

Rock Bottom Prices..

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:27 pm

I have found out over the years that the deal that is the cheapest is not always the best choice. When your looking for the rock bottom lowest price, this is what always happens 99.99999% of the time. To me if i had to scourer the net for the "Cheapest" I would not buy at all, as that would mean i could not afford it anyways.. Those to good to be true "deals" are usually just that..! To good to be true..

Cheers, The Mogul

photohopp

Recourse for bestpricecamera.com

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:59 am

Does anyone know if they are breaking any laws, or if the better business bureau would get involved into their business tactics? -J

edwindjb

Re: Recourse for bestpricecamera.com

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:56 pm

photohopp wrote:Does anyone know if they are breaking any laws, or if the better business bureau would get involved into their business tactics? -J

After my complaint, the BBB got back to me saying essentially they keep a record of complaints like mine, but that since in my case, I was not actually bilked of any cash, that they wouldn't take any action.

P.S. I also canceled my credit card after dealing with these scammers. Thank goodness I didn't lose any cash.
-edj

robertdman

Re: Mandatory websites for all potential buyers.

Post Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:33 pm

ihor wrote:resellerratings dot com
and of course don wiss' obligatory pictures.
http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Thanks for this post. Your photos are part of the research process. Glad to see the Mack repair faciltiy. Looks professional.

mojo300

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:30 pm

dbluong wrote:bestpricecameras.com
expresscameras.com
geniuscameras.com

they are probably the same company ... avoid dealing with them!

Thank all of you so much. I tried to order from 2 of the 3 above mentioned sites. Both orders were back ordered and I was not charged. I stumbled upon this topic and called my credit card company asap. I was lucky, they did not charge me. I canceled my card and had a new one issued. I do a lot of business online. I know the saying to good to be true, but I new the the photography scene and found these site from Google. I just thought I had found a deal. It's B & H from now on. Thanks so much.

Mike

leejungil

The Bottom Price "Deals"

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:40 pm

I have found out over the years that bottom feeding will do nothing but end up costing you in the long run. Just a bit of common sense will make it so obvious..

The 400DO F4 User..

spankye5

Best Price Camera is worst experience

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:19 am

I have been charged more than $800 for a Nikon Camera that I did not order. I ordered a D40X, they called me and wanted to sell me a charger but the cost was more extensive than what they had posted on their site. They kept trying to sell me the D40 and I repeatedly told them I wanted the D40X as a Christmas present. I received the camera, a D40, not the D40X but was charged for the D40X.

I have attempted to contact them via email and phone, they will not return my calls.

I have reported them to my credit card company.

Beware!!!! Do not do business with these thiefs!

yardbird

Thanks

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the info here. I have always wondered about these sellers, I noticed J&K on ebay and they had a great deal. Was very tempted. Glad i did the research and thankful for all the others here on Pbase who have such valuable data.

Thanks
Karthik

fitzm

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Yardbird,

I have been using resellerratings for years. There are so many scammers out there and this site really confirms it. It amazes me how many people will simply send money off without researching first.

FYI: I also never complete a transaction on-line before going through one of these sites first: ebates and or greenpoints. Why not get extra credit for your transaction and an extra level of security.

There are probably other sites like them out there but these are the two that I am used to. If anyone uses any other similar sites please post them.

Don't forget that if you do use ebay, definitely set up a paypal account first. And truly research the seller and the comments on them.

Good luck.

slickjesus

BestPriceCameras.com climbing the charts as the lowest

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:49 pm

I recommend, that the best price is not the lowest. I almost sent an order to BestPrice for a D300. "Goodness" I thought, "I am so clever, look at this good price I found. I am so thrifty and Ben Franklin-like". Turns out after I posted on a few forums like this that I was on the verge of screwing myself royally.

BestPrice had a price of less than 1000 dollars for a D300 body. TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. I'd rather pay another 700 bucks from B&H and get it w/out hassel, on time, and be able to reach the guys at the store if/when there is a problem. Good luck all!

aaaaaa123

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 pm

:lol:
HDR-SR8 fot $749
This guy called me and told me that the shipping to overseas for a camera would be $149 that camera does not come with a lens and this costs $399...
Not to mention that there is no battery in the price.
I didnt ask what else is not included in the price after hearing about the lens...
I am going to cancel my credit card directly.
Is there any consumer care organization in the US?
In my country this company would have closed and these guys would be in jail long time ago...

I hope that some customer would be good enough to put them on the right track.... It seems that noone was good enough yet or they dont care.

marxz

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 am

aaaaaa123 wrote::lol:

Is there any consumer care organization in the US?
In my country this company would have closed and these guys would be in jail long time ago...

I hope that some customer would be good enough to put them on the right track.... It seems that noone was good enough yet or they dont care.

like I said in an earlier post, the actions of this company would fall foul of Australian consumer protection laws, I'd figure it would be much the same in Europe
there is no .sig

PreviousNext

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dishonest Online Store - Bestpricecameras.com