Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Lenses/quality/which to buy

Digital Cameras

Lenses/quality/which to buy

mspenelope

Lenses/quality/which to buy

Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:38 pm

I am thinking of buying a Nikon D100 package.
However, I can't decide on which because I'm not sure which is the best lens package. Some bundles come with Sigma some with Nikon....others with the Tamron. I am mainly going to do portrait and macro photography, and would also like a long lens. There are also so many price variations on this camera and bundles. Seen the camera as low as $999. Is there anything to watch out for here....such as "gray" market...and exactly what this means? Any help is greatly appreciated.

parklifer

Post Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:20 pm

Whatever package your camera comes with, you are almost certainly going to want to upgrade at some point because you rarely get the highest quality lenses included in a package. Which is not to say they won't be good - just not excellent! I prefer Nikon but they come at a price and prime lenses are best. But if you are starting from a body up D100 which comes with a package I'd probably suggest either a 12-24 a 17-35mm and/or a 24-85mm & a 70-300mm. If a 105 or 180mm is included go for it! Sigma are cheaper but you do get what you pay for.

chessea

Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:50 pm

I have the Nikon D100, Sigma 17-35 wide angle lens (good) & an 80-400mm telephoto zoom (very heavy) with VR. After a year, I read the telephoto manual to find out the expensive VR (vibration reduction) does not work on D100s.

ACK!

I have heard only good things about Sigma lens. :D If I had it all to do over again, I would not have purchased the 80-400mm, but maybe a 500 or higher lens for my type of photography. Why I purchased the 80mm is lost on me.

Hope this helps.

chessie

chessea

Post Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:53 pm

I forgot to add the 80-400mm telephoto is Nikon (very expensive).

Personally, wish I was smarter sooner as I would have purchased 35mm lens and used the manual focus, saved $$ & had a wider variety of lens & filters. Purchasing the 80-400mm was a mistake.

chessie

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Lenses/quality/which to buy