Board index Equipment Digital Cameras camera noob! need help

Digital Cameras

camera noob! need help

sobi

camera noob! need help

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:35 pm

so im starting to look into a fairly major purchase for a digicam. I do graphic design, so image quality will need to be somewhat better than average. I'm guessing that 5 mega pixels or above should suffice. my pricerange is up to about $600. I would like at least some bonus features like B&W capability, sephia, and negative, ect ect... Being able to put on a wide angle (fish eye) lense would be something i would also want. Lastly, I definately want what I think is a maual shutter. Like I said, I'm new to this all,and i dont know if its shutter speed, but i want to achieve the following effects.

REALLY like that style with all the trails of light, but the rest in focus. Is that achieved by shutter speed? If so, thats a definate feature i want. I know nothing about cameras really, but want to learn and have a pretty good tool with more than the average features to learn with. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!

thanks in advance,
jared

bobtrips

Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:03 am

OK, all the B&W, sepia, negative, etc. is best done in the computer. Shoot color and get to the editing program with as much information as possible and then do the tweaking.

Go to http://www.pricegrabber.com, digital camera page and plug in 5 megs, max price $700 and see what pops out.

Make a list of the best sounding and go to http://www.dpreview.com and/or http://www.steves-digicams.com and read some reviews. Check to see if the cameras that you're considering have manual shutter and aperture controls. Think about what you want in the way of zoom.

If you get hung up post back here.

sobi

Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:29 am

Well thanks for the response, but it really didnt help much. As for researching on the web, i have done that, and it doesnt really do much for me personally. I guess I'm looking for some one on one feedback and personal preferences and opinions. :? If you have any, please feel free to give some input based on the specs i (somewhat) gave. :)

octi

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:23 pm

sobi wrote:Well thanks for the response, but it really didnt help much. As for researching on the web, i have done that, and it doesnt really do much for me personally. I guess I'm looking for some one on one feedback and personal preferences and opinions. :? If you have any, please feel free to give some input based on the specs i (somewhat) gave. :)

I also like to take pictures in a similar style, and was recently looking to buy a new camera with similar specs. I ultimately decided on a Nikon cp 5400. It is 5mp, capable of shutter speeds up to 10 min., and is the best for wide angles in the calss of cameras you are looking at. I haven't had a chance to experiment with it too extensively yet, but am so far really happy with it. I too am rather new to photography and wanted a camera that offered a lot of room for me learn, but would not be too limiting or overwhelming.

I got most of my info for choosig from dpreveiw. They do a really nice side by side with the cannogn g5, sony dcv-1(or something) and that one. I would say check it out.

Hope that was helpful.

sheila

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:23 am

Hi Jared

If you want the ability to change lenses, such as a wide angle or fisheye, you will be looking at a dSLR - rather than a point and shoot. All dSLRs can be changed to manual and as Bob has pointed out, sepia, monochrome etc can be done in Photoshop or such other software. But, I don't know if you can get anything half decent for $600 - unless you can find a good used Canon D30.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

bobtrips

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:59 am

Oh, and that posted shot? Think combined images (layers) in Photoshop....

mikesmith

Or maybe double exposure on film.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Maybe double exposure on that old medium called "film."

bobtrips

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:45 pm

Maybe film. Maybe scanned and layered film. Getting it in one shot would be a bear.

But you may be right. If it were a digital edit then the photog would have been able to line up the display and her direction of view a bit better.

iberger

Post Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am

I don't see the photo you're talking about; but I suspect you mean a common effect where a moving subject seems to leave a vapor trail behind. That's called by various names such as second-shutter flash: the camera's "shutter" stays open for a bit of time, causing the blur (and helping to expose the background), then fires the flash just before the shutter closes.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras camera noob! need help