Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 10D Issues

Digital Cameras

Canon 10D Issues

captainproton

Canon 10D Issues

Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:20 pm

My business partner recently got himself a Canon 10D and was unhappy with the sharpness and focus of images. He did some test shots with the 10D and D30 and compared them only to find that the D30 was better.

He called the people he purchased it from and went back to them to prove his point. He took three 10D cameras out of the box and got a differant result each time, none of them as good as the D30.

He went to Canon and was told it is a known problem with the camera and about 2% were faulty. We think the percentage is higher because a total of 4 cameras tried had the same problem to varying degrees.

Canon said that each camera needs to be individually updated and calibrated, it is a software problem but they insist on doing the upgrade themselves.

Don't know if anyone is aware of this.

Craig

sheila

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:51 am

Hi Craig

The front focusing of the 10D is one of the most common complaints of 10D owners. The topic is constant on DPReview and also Fred Miranda's site. I believe that Canon is addressing the issue by new firmware. I don't have the 10D as there is no way I am going to part with my D60 :D .

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

patrick_kwok

Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:06 am

In Hong Kong, some Canon 10D ownerw bring along their equipment and mostly used lens to the services center to repair. It seems that some shipments contain this problem. However, for the latest shipment, there is fewer complaint about focusing.

BTW, the firmware announced seems not tackle this problem.

pixel_eye

Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:47 pm

I'm hoping to get my hands on a 10D sometime soon, but called into my local Jessops to find out about a delivery time and cost. The assistant told me that all new 10D's were being re-chipped and they had a backorder for 600 on their books.

So is the problem with the first 10D's that went out being addressed by the fix to the next batch?

Bob :?:

havoc

it's coming!

Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:07 pm

I'm very excited that my 10D will be here tomorrow. Before I placed the order, I talked it over with the rep at KEH (I really like KEH), and we agreed that this shipment should not be afflicted with the 10D focus bug.

After doing some reading on DPReview.com, I was almost convinced that most of the people having trouble with the 10D are people coming from Nikon point-n-shoot digitals -- but this forum keeps me from coming to that conclussion.

I hope that I don't have problems. I have great hopes and great expectations! Maybe I'll even start posting a few photos to PBase again. :)

abwhitt

10D focus problems

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:29 pm

Can't comment on earlier 10D's but I've had mine about a week and it's fine. There would seem to have been some genuine faulty cameras out there but without doubt it seems that a lot of cameras went back without much of a problem. In DPReview, people are asking, "Should I send my back for checking etc" If it's got a problem, of course you should, but if you seem unsure I would guess it's the guy at fault, not the camera. I am an "enthusiastic amateur", completely new to DSLR, it's not rocket science but it does involve a fair bit of reading to be completely familiar with the camera. Some of my first shots her with a Canon 24-85 and a Sigma 70-300 APO, poor relation to the Canon.
http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/10d
Frank
Last edited by abwhitt on Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anneb74

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:58 pm

I've had my 10D since March and my D30 for over a year. Never done side-by-side comparisons, but my shots are all OK. I do use RAW format and then take all shots into Photoshop 7 for slight adjustments including USM. I use Canon L lenses. Also, I use the RAW software that came with the camera.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 10D Issues