Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software how to remove "noise" from image when shot at 400a

Photo Editing Software

how to remove "noise" from image when shot at 400a

stevewall

how to remove "noise" from image when shot at 400a

Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:59 pm

I just shot a bunch of available light photos in a night club at slow speed to purposely get blurs of a gypsy jazz guitarist. I am using an Olympus 3030, which often does not give me too much a problem, but this was quite dark and the image is very grainy/noisey.
I have a software program called "Neat Image" that removes a lot of the mess, but in this case it was not that successful and there are still many bright individual pixels still present.
Anyone have a solution?
I have Photoshop, but am far from an knowledable user.
Thank you in advance for your wisdom and know how.

jim_panzee

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:39 am

steve.
Photoshop 7 does have a filter program, you could try it I don't know how sucssesful it will be, I've never used it.

In photoshop, open your photo,>click Filter>click Noise, in the drop down menue you will see Despeckle, you may have to make a layer of the bit you want to alter first. In the same filter menue is Texture and in the drop down > grain, you could try both.

JimP.

castledude

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:48 am

Try the following:

1) Make your own profile in Neat Image.

2) http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise_print.html

Has a bunch of reviews. Noise Ninja is pretty inexpensive and is rated at the top.

3) The other ways are to take an image into your lens cap at the same speed/iso/f stop. Now use that as a compensation layer in photoshop (set it as a hard or soft light). Unfortunately the JPEG compression tends to muck with the effectiveness of this.

4) The final way is to embrace the noise. Use the noise filter in Photoshop to add more noise and use it as a film like effect.

halesr

Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:16 am

castledude, thanks for the suggestion of adding more noies/grain. I really like painterly, soft focus, and even grainy photos. I have used a lot of HIE film just for that reason. I love your idea of adding grain and making it a sselected effect. I will definitely be using that in the future.--Rene

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software how to remove "noise" from image when shot at 400a