Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop 8 vs. older versions

Photo Editing Software

Photoshop 8 vs. older versions

ukwildkitty

Photoshop 8 vs. older versions

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:42 pm

I am new to the digital dark room and am currently using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and like what I can do with it, but I want to do more. Should I invest the $300 on 8 or would it be wiser for me to use an older version that is much less expensive. Any advice would be much appreciated.

castledude

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:02 pm

Depends on what you mean by doing more...

If you want more special effects "fun stuff" look into some add on filters (they will work even if you upgrade later).

My favorites for fun stuff are http://www.flamingpear.com and http://www.alienskin.com (eyecandy and xenofex).

If what you want is more control and a lot more layering features then Photoshop CS is the way to go. If you can find a really cheap copy of an older version buy it, then buy the CS upgrade (it's cheaper that way).

Also don't forget about educational discounts. Here in the US we can get a copy of Photoshop CS for the upgrade price with a little help from a friend attending school.

Also I would suggest the books by Scott Kelby they have some really good tricks in them in a really readable format.

Good luck..

ukexpat

Re: Photoshop 8 vs. older versions

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:03 pm

ukwildkitty wrote:I am new to the digital dark room and am currently using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and like what I can do with it, but I want to do more. Should I invest the $300 on 8 or would it be wiser for me to use an older version that is much less expensive. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The four main advantages of PS CS over earlier versions are: The Camera RAW converter; the healing brush; the shadow/highlight control and the file browser. If you don't think you will make use of those feautures, then go for an earlier version. In fact, you should even consider whether you need full PS at all. PSE has all the tools that the average user needs.

ukwildkitty

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:54 pm

Thank you very much for the input!

alibaby

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:11 am

I used elements for a couple years before I outgrew it. I shoot RAW and had the plug in for it. Then I got CS and just love it. The multi layer heal and patch tool and the shadow/highlight is worth it. They also just came out with Elements 3 which also works in 16 bit and has the RAW converter.

gpaai

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:09 pm

castledude wrote:Also I would suggest the books by Scott Kelby they have some really good tricks in them in a really readable format.

Excellent suggestion! I have learned so much from his books.
I love photoshopography.......

jfavre

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:12 am

Hi,

Don't bother paying U$300 for Photoshop CS.
You can download it from Limewire or any p2p equivalent application.
YOu should even get the serial number with it. If not, get it from Serial Box, do a search on Google for it.

CS is great to raise shadows or if your highlights are busted. I'm still using version 6 because i don't like the new lay out for the captions (File Info) windows.

Good luck.

http://www.pbase.com/jfavre

ukexpat

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:39 pm

jfavre wrote:Hi,

Don't bother paying U$300 for Photoshop CS.
You can download it from Limewire or any p2p equivalent application.
YOu should even get the serial number with it. If not, get it from Serial Box, do a search on Google for it.

CS is great to raise shadows or if your highlights are busted. I'm still using version 6 because i don't like the new lay out for the captions (File Info) windows.

Good luck.

http://www.pbase.com/jfavre

As a legitimate Photoshop user who has paid for Photoshop and a couple of upgrades, I object in the strongest possible terms to you suggesting this -- while it may seem like the hip thing to do, this is software piracy plain and simple.

djmurdoc

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:12 pm

ukwildkitty wrote:I am new to the digital dark room and am currently using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and like what I can do with it, but I want to do more. Should I invest the $300 on 8 or would it be wiser for me to use an older version that is much less expensive. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You can get a free copy of Adobe PhotoShop CS (8) off Limewire with serial and all... I know that it isn't really ligit, but it will save you mucho $$$... If you do it, only download the zip files.

I did it and i love the program. I feel it is more user friendly and has a few more feature.

ukexpat

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:54 pm

djmurdoc wrote:

You can get a free copy of Adobe PhotoShop CS (8) off Limewire with serial and all... I know that it isn't really ligit, but it will save you mucho $$$... If you do it, only download the zip files.

I did it and i love the program. I feel it is more user friendly and has a few more feature.

Same comment as above -- this is theft in my book and as a paying user of Photoshop, people like you really tick me off....to be blunt.

matiasasun

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:11 pm

After some small chat & practice with a designer wich is a friend of mine we talk and tested Photoshop 7/8&Elements2.0 and we also tested Jasc Paint Shop pro 8 and 9... Without any doubt I would go for JASC, because photoshop got stucked in almost all version, was slower, and much more complicated (at least for me), even both are pretty similar.

Just a tought...

//using windows, in an average home computer (not very much information, but that´s all I knew)
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

kirstenmary

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:50 pm

ukexpat wrote:
djmurdoc wrote:

Same comment as above -- this is theft in my book and as a paying user of Photoshop, people like you really tick me off....to be blunt.

I completely agree. It's stealing. Plain. And. Simple.

kirstenmary

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 pm

ukexpat wrote:

The four main advantages of PS CS over earlier versions are: The Camera RAW converter; the healing brush; the shadow/highlight control and the file browser. If you don't think you will make use of those feautures, then go for an earlier version. In fact, you should even consider whether you need full PS at all. PSE has all the tools that the average user needs.

I am still using PS 7, and it has the healing brush. Has it been improved in CS, or am I missing somethine? :)

ukexpat

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:50 pm

kirstenmary wrote:
ukexpat wrote:

I am still using PS 7, and it has the healing brush. Has it been improved in CS, or am I missing somethine? :)

You're right the healing brush is not new to PS CS, my mistake.

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:58 pm

K, in CS you can work with more features (filters etc) in 16 bit mode - my NEF RAW images used to always arrive in PS7 in 16bit mode (tho you can use the CS RAW converter to convert as a defaut)

one of the least talked about, but handy things in CS is the Photofilter layers.. I know you could do this using layer properties with a fill layer, but i like the fact Adobe provide it for you.

useful earlier as i had an image that was too warm, so applied the 82 cooling filter.

Matias... PS is fast if you have the firepower in your computer ;) i found PSP 8 to be very slow BTW. PSP7 is a bit better. Hopefully PSP9 will be better optimised.

Next

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop 8 vs. older versions