Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop Elements 10 (8/16 bit TIFF)

Photo Editing Software

Photoshop Elements 10 (8/16 bit TIFF)

flashbracket

Photoshop Elements 10 (8/16 bit TIFF)

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Well, discovered that Photoshop Elements 10 does not support 16bit TIFF files only the full version at enormous expense.

The question is that is it a must for landscape photographers. All my prints at A3/A2 are great, but I can't help feeling that potentially they could be better with enhanced colour depth.

Would anybody recommend 16bit over 8bit and after comparisons/deliberations wouldn't consider anything less?

May I have your views on this.

Regards

Kevin

sthuman

Re: Photoshop Elements 10 (8/16 bit TIFF)

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:07 am

The advantages of 16 bit mostly apply to editing. It's better to work with more colors to avoid posterization or banding in solid colors like sky. But for printing it doesn't really make a difference. Most printers don't actually print in 16 bit anyway, and even if they do it hasn't been shown to make a discernible difference because the human eye can't discern that many colors anyway. If your prints look great with 8 bit editing why change? But since it is better to work with 16 bits when editing you may want to consider a program that will. My suggestion would be Photoshop Lightroom. For the vast majority of people who shoot RAW and don't do a lot of special effects type things, it is more than effective enough. Its a lot better for organization, is non destructive and does most everything you need right within the program itself. And a lot cheaper than CS whatever.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Photoshop Elements 10 (8/16 bit TIFF)